Beech Hill House
Beech Hill House B&B
Cumbria LA11 6RH

Dogs welcome, large or small, one or more. A Greyhound haven!

The voluntary work Jenny and Stuart started in July 2004 is a memorial to their darling Penny. Without her coming into their lives none of this would have happened.

Please ring for an appointment to come and see the greyhounds and have a chat. You are most welcome, but as we run a bed and breakfast it is essential you ring and arrange a date and time to visit.
T: 015395 52394

email us


When adopting a greyhound the suggested donation is £150.00 which goes towards neutering, inoculations, upkeep etc. Some people give a little less, while
others want to give more. We are quite flexible with this, and with this we provide:
Martingale Collar, Lead, Muzzle and 4 weeks free cover with the insurance company PetPlan

List of Greyhounds by the date they were homed with links to their diary pages
¦ 2018 ¦ 2017 ¦ 2016 ¦ 2015 ¦ 2014 ¦ 2013 ¦ 2012 ¦ 2011 ¦ 2010 ¦ 2009 ¦ 2008 ¦ 2007 ¦ 2006 ¦ 2005 ¦ 2004 ¦



Become a friend and view Our Profile to see what's happening at the branch and to follow some of our ex-foster greyhounds.

Fosterers are a valuable part of greyhound rescue in that another greyhound is living life away from the kennels and taking the first steps towards getting used to the family way of life. If you live in the South Lakes or the surrounding area and would like to foster a greyhound until we can find him or her a new home.
please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information

Would you like to become a registered volunteer and walk a Greyhound?
Volunteers offering to take a Greyhound for a walk, an afternoon out or a stop-over play a very important role here at the branch.
please contact Jenny or Stuart T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information and to see how you can help.

for those in our care until we find them new homes.
(also pilchards in tomato sauce, sardines and tuna in oil, dog biscuits, Dentastix)

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us

which is what we use for the greyhounds in our care until we find them new homes.

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please deliver to:
Beech Hill House, Witherslack, Cumbria LA11 6RH

Become a VIP member and nominate Greyhound Trust South Lakes as your chosen charity.
If you nominate our branch as your charity the 'lifelines' you collect each time you make a purchase either in store or on-line will go to our branch.
Each quarter we receive a voucher to the value of the lifelines nominated to our branch which we can spend at the Kendal (Cumbria) Pets at Home store on items needed for the dogs in our care while looking for new homes. Thank you.

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)


Below is one of the 82 dogs we fostered for Dumfriesshire & Cumbria
Greyhound Rescue between July 2004 and the 5th December 2009.
On the 9th December 2009 we became the SOUTH LAKES branch
of the Retired Greyhound Trust for whom we are now foster

Arrived with us on Wednesday 30th November 2005
Went to his new home on Saturday 10th December 2005

Danny's arrival and a brief history
Danny on the 30th November 2005
Danny was born on the 24th January 2003 so is almost 3 years old. He is inoculated, neutered, housetrained and been living in a home with two cats. He gets on well with children but is a little wary of strange dogs the first time he meets them. He seems a lot happier with them the second time he sees them. He understands a number of commands including 'Danny lie down', 'Danny come' and 'Leave'. He came to us because of changes to both his owner's working pattern, which meant him being left on his own longer during the week, which they felt unfair and wasn't best for him.
Danny has a broken front tooth that doesn't seem to bother him and no
one knows when or how it became broken. Also, when you look closely at his teeth his top two large ones don't seem to lie flush with the others and stand out so it sometimes feels funny when you stroke him around the mouth. It may be this that has weakened his bottom tooth causing it to break.
Danny's Diary
30th November 2005
It was a sad time Danny's owners seeing him go and he wasn't too sure about coming with me. This is because Danny apparently likes stability and gets quite anxious if he's not sure what's going on. As I walked him to our car he pulled and danced about trying to shake his collar off so his owner walked to the car with me. At first I thought he wasn't going to jump in then he changed his mind and up he jumped.
When we arrived home Stuart came out to meet us and Danny thought the best place to be when Stuart opened the back door was as far away from Stuart as possible. He had two feet over the back seat but with gentle coaxing I got him back so Stuart could get his lead and take him inside. He wasn't too sure of Stuart at first but within five minutes he was walking happily round the garden on his lead watering the bushes with him.
Once inside we fed him then took him for a walk and called into the local pub for a drink on the way back (it had been a long day!). He happily walked up to the people inside wanting to be stroked along with the others then stood and watched people milling around. The others were all asleep on the floor but Danny decided the best place to be was standing up and keeping close to Stuart and I - what a change an hour makes!
The rest of the evening he settled on the floor in a way he could see what we were doing. He wasn't too sure of the stairs and seemed all legs going up taking a stumble near the top. Coming down he tried following Thunder at his speed and ended up in a heap at the bottom - there were no cries, just a look of shock that quickly disappeared with a cuddle and a fuss.
1st December 2005
When it was time for bed last night Danny was quite anxious and it took us a while to settle him - the slightest noise and up he came wanting to see what it was. Eventually he settled and was fine until 5.30am when I thought I heard him moving about and put the light on only to find him asleep in his bed - and up he jumped! Oh well! He then ran onto the landing past Indi and Bobby. Bobby being Bobby wasn't having this at 5.30 am and told him in no uncertain terms, which caused Danny to run downstairs in fright and cock his leg. I managed to catch him and out in the garden we all went in the rain to do what was necessary - Thunder included. Back to bed again and all was quiet until the alarm went off then Danny and Thunder were up and raring to go.
He ate his breakfast well then we walked him round the garden on the lead so he could see the fences in the daylight. After all the dogs came in we let Danny out again on his own and off the lead to explore and have a good run round the trees before coming back inside. He's been wagging his tail none stop this morning and playing with the others in the house. He loves playing with the toys from the toy box and is slowly learning the rule of leaving Bobby well alone when he's in his bed.
2nd December 2005
Danny escaped through Stuart's legs this morning as he was going out the house and the surprise allowed Indi and Thunder to follow. Danny went out the drive but Indi and Thunder realised it was wrong and half way down the drive turned round and came back in the house. His escape was a bit of a shock but thankfully he never ran down the road any further than next door's drive where he found their garden too good to resist and we were able to bring him back safely. At that point we decided to move the old gate at the end of the drive and install larger double gates further up the drive, which would make that part of the front of the house much safer in future.
3rd December 2005
Danny loves being in our garden and is sometimes quite difficult to get back in as he enjoys watching the passing traffic and sniffing around. This afternoon I let both him and Thunder out to do what was necessary and to my astonishment Thunder ended up rounding Danny up and leading him back down the garden into the conservatory for me - the whole incident stunned me and proved just how clever Thunder was.
6th December 2005
Danny hasn't stopped playing with the toys in the toy box since he arrived and his favourite time is playing with the squeaky ones for the last half hour before going to bed in the evening.
Discovered today that Danny gets quite anxious when we are out the house. Stuart was putting a gatepost in the drive ready to hang the new gates and I was at the top of the garden doing some work. Danny cried all the time we were out so in the end I came in earlier than anticipated so as not to stress him too much. This may just be a settling in problem or, it could be separation anxiety so we will need to monitor and tackle this if it's the case.
Danny loves taking toys and other things to his bed and up until now that's all he's done with them but this afternoon he chewed the ear off Thunder's teddy and the toe out of Stuart's slipper. Maybe the anxiety of us being out of the house earlier triggered this so it's something we will watch.
Caught him barking at three coat hangers hanging on the wardrobe door this evening. Don't ask why as only he can answer that one!
7th December 2005
This afternoon our handicapped son visited as he does each month

Danny on the
30th November 2005

Danny on the 30th November
and again . . . . . .

Danny on the 30th November
. . . and again . . . .

. . . and again . . .

. . . and again . . .

Danny on the 9th December 2005
Danny on the 9th December 2005
and, as normal when he arrives we sat down to eat about 4pm. Danny became quite anxious and we couldn't work out why. When we moved into the living room after tea Danny tried stealing the remains of the chicken and cauliflower cheese - most of which he ate. It had been put up out of the way to cool down and the incident surprised us because he hasn't shown any inclination to steal anything before. All we could think of was that his routine had changed - normally in the evening we feed the dogs then we eat later but today, as always when Mark comes it's the other way round - perhaps he thought we had forgotten him!
8th December 2005
Back to our normal routine today and Danny has been fine.
10th December 2005
This morning we were going to meet Danny's new owners and do the SADD (Save a Dumfries Dog) walk around Dumfries with them before completing the adoption and Danny going to his new home. However, we never made the walk as we only got as far as Southwaite Service Station near Carlisle when we had to get a lift back home on a vehicle recovery lorry care of the RAC - the cambelt tension arm had become loose and started making a loud noise as we were leaving the filling station. A member of DGR saved the day by driving down from Dumfries to the service station and collected Danny so he could meet his new owners and complete the adoption. It was a funny day and it left a hollow feeling in our stomachs as we saw him being driven away because it's not the way we like to see our dogs leave us.
11th December 2005
We phoned Danny's new owners this afternoon to have a chat and see how he was settling in as we were worried about him. To our relief all went well yesterday in Dumfries and after the walk they all went home together, where he began settling in with the children. He hasn't been introduced to the cats as yet because they were going to give him a couple of days to settle in before introducing him to them. So far all was going well.
8th January 2006
We phoned Danny's new owner this afternoon to see how he was and they are very pleased with the way he's settling in. He's getting on fine with their two young children, enjoys taking them and collecting them from school, ignores the cats and enjoys meeting the guests staying in the hotel.
18th November 2007
Danny and his family were at the Dumfriesshire and Cumbria Greyhound Rescue Christmas Fayre and Greyhound Show held at the Loreburn Hall in Dumfries.
Danny looked well and it was lovely to see him again. Whilst at the show he had his photograph taken with the boys in Stuart's studio, which he'd set up in the hall.
31st July 2010
Received a surprise email this afternoon in answer to a Facebook comment letting us know that Danny's thing is still shoes - especially new ones still in the box! He also loves soft toys - but only those belonging to their younger son."
20th August 2010
Received an email via Facebook letting us know that Danny is fine - starting to look a little grey now, but as gorgeous as ever!
24th January 2011
24th January 2012
24th January 2013
16th December 2013
We received an email this morning letting us know that Danny is fine. He hurt his back in the summer, but all seems well now. Getting grayer - as you can see from his face on the photo! Spends his days between his owner's bed (when they forget to close the door) and the sofa - it's a tough life!! He still eats everything in sight and steals given half a chance but he's given up on shoe stealing!
30th December 2013

This morning we received a lovely picture of Danny in his Father Christmas hat, which was taken on the 16th December
24th January 2014
Danny with the boys
Greyhound Show at Dumfries
18th November 2007

Brindle Greyhound
Getting ready for Christmas
16th December 2013

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)

© 2004 - 2017 Jenny Stott