Beech Hill House
Beech Hill House B&B
Cumbria LA11 6RH

Dogs welcome, large or small, one or more. A Greyhound haven!

The voluntary work Jenny and Stuart started in July 2004 is a memorial to their darling Penny. Without her coming into their lives none of this would have happened.

Please ring for an appointment to come and see the greyhounds and have a chat. You are most welcome, but as we run a bed and breakfast it is essential you ring and arrange a date and time to visit.
T: 015395 52394

email us


When adopting a greyhound the suggested donation is £150.00 which goes towards neutering, inoculations, upkeep etc. Some people give a little less, while
others want to give more. We are quite flexible with this, and with this we provide:
Martingale Collar, Lead, Muzzle and 4 weeks free cover with the insurance company PetPlan

List of Greyhounds by the date they were homed with links to their diary pages
¦ 2018 ¦ 2017 ¦ 2016 ¦ 2015 ¦ 2014 ¦ 2013 ¦ 2012 ¦ 2011 ¦ 2010 ¦ 2009 ¦ 2008 ¦ 2007 ¦ 2006 ¦ 2005 ¦ 2004 ¦



Become a friend and view Our Profile to see what's happening at the branch and to follow some of our ex-foster greyhounds.

Fosterers are a valuable part of greyhound rescue in that another greyhound is living life away from the kennels and taking the first steps towards getting used to the family way of life. If you live in the South Lakes or the surrounding area and would like to foster a greyhound until we can find him or her a new home.
please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information

Would you like to become a registered volunteer and walk a Greyhound?
Volunteers offering to take a Greyhound for a walk, an afternoon out or a stop-over play a very important role here at the branch.
please contact Jenny or Stuart T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information and to see how you can help.

for those in our care until we find them new homes.
(also pilchards in tomato sauce, sardines and tuna in oil, dog biscuits, Dentastix)

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us

which is what we use for the greyhounds in our care until we find them new homes.

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please deliver to:
Beech Hill House, Witherslack, Cumbria LA11 6RH

Become a VIP member and nominate Greyhound Trust South Lakes as your chosen charity.
If you nominate our branch as your charity the 'lifelines' you collect each time you make a purchase either in store or on-line will go to our branch.
Each quarter we receive a voucher to the value of the lifelines nominated to our branch which we can spend at the Kendal (Cumbria) Pets at Home store on items needed for the dogs in our care while looking for new homes. Thank you.

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)


Below is one of the 82 dogs we fostered for Dumfriesshire & Cumbria
Greyhound Rescue between July 2004 and the 5th December 2009.
On the 9th December 2009 we became the SOUTH LAKES branch
of the Retired Greyhound Trust for whom we are now foster


Arrived Saturday 18th November 2006
Went to her new home on Sunday 26th November 2006
Arrived back with us on Sunday 1st November 2009
Went to her new home on Sunday 22nd November 2009

Mandy's arrival and a brief history
Mandy is a black and white greyhound
Mandy is a small white and black ex-racing Greyhound who weighs about 53lbs. She was born on the 17th March 2002, is spayed, house trained and microchipped.
She has a very gentle nature, tends to be a bit quiet until she comes out of her shell, loves children, okay with other dogs, walks nicely on the lead and travels well in a car.
Mandy's Diary

18th November 2006
Collected Mandy this morning and brought her home to meet the others. She was a bit grumbly growly to start with but this is sometimes the case with a bitch confronted with other dogs and bitches. However, a walk around the garden and things soon settled down. Romeo thought she was a real cutie and he became her constant companion from the moment she arrived. Bobby settled

with her immediately and Indi loved having another girl as a friend because we don't seem to get many here!
19th November 2006
It was the annual Greyhound Show and Christmas Fair at the Loreburn Hall in Dumfries today where we attended with our Greyhound calendars and cards and set up stall for people to buy them. Dog beds were placed behind us out of the way and Mandy stayed with us most of the time at the stall. She was a bit nervous and never sat down at all so we had to hold her lead all the time. During our walks around the hall with her she was a bit 'pully' on the lead and we couldn't understand why but it may have been she was just nervous of all the people, dogs and activity going on. However, driving home we wondered if she had been looking for her friend Minty who she came into kennels with her and who had been wandering around the room with the Dumfriesshire Greyhound Rescue Homing Co-ordinator.
20th November 2006
Mandy has been quite the opposite today and been very relaxed and happy. Most of the dogs have had a quiet relaxing day after yesterday. It had been a long day for them all when you add the travelling time onto the time we were at the show and for some dogs who have just come from kennels they must find it quite daunting.
24th November 2006
Mandy has really settled in well with us, gets on with our dogs and has been no problem at all. She's been eating her food well and enjoys walking and playing in the garden with the others. She loves climbing up on the settee next to Stuart for a cuddle and when I'm in bed reading my book with Romeo cuddling up she sometimes climbs on the bed and joins us.
We joined Remy and his owner today at the Olde Fleece Inn in Kendal because Border TV were doing an interview with her about the 'doggy dates' event she was planning there for Sunday evening. Mandy was very good for the cameraman and when we watched it this evening on Border TV 'Lookaround' at 6.30pm there she was. She only played a small part but there she was on the telly.
26th November 2006
This morning we took Mandy to her new home in the Furness area where she will be living with a lady and her grand daughter who stays with her during the week. We hope Mandy will enjoy living with her new family and that she will have a long and happy life with them.
27th November 2006
Phoned this evening to see how Mandy is settling in and her new owner is very pleased with her. She was registered with the vet this morning, had a check up and her first inoculation because what with one thing and another last week we never had the chance to get her to our vets to do it. She's met a number of other dogs on her walks and just ignored them and although it's early days she is beginning to settle.
29th November 2006
Received a call from Mandy's new owner this afternoon because she's been a bit off colour today, had an accident first thing this morning, didn't want any breakfast and didn't want to go for her afternoon walk - she got to the end of the road and turned round wanting to go home whereupon she went to her bed. Phoned her this evening to see how she was and she'd taken some milk mixed with water and about half her portion of dinner with a few gravy bone biscuits this evening. We think it may have been her inoculation yesterday but we will see how she is tomorrow and her owner promised to let us know if things didn't improve.
12th December 2006
Mandy has been with her new owner just over two weeks and she phoned tonight to say she is just beginning to come out of her shell. Being off colour just after she arrived was put down to her inoculation and worming because the following day she was much better. Mandy doesn't like going out in the rain and will stand by the front door as if to say 'do I really have to go out in that!', she's sometimes a bit shy towards other dogs and will try and run away from them if she can so her new owner is trying to introduce her to as many as she can at a distance so she gets used to seeing them around. She probably hasn't seen so many different breeds of dogs before and is wondering what on earth they are. She wouldn't go upstairs to begin with but during the past couple of days she's felt brave enough to have a go and enjoys standing by the bedroom window watching the world go by.
21st January 2007
When we called in this afternoon to do Mandy's follow-up visit she gave us such a lovely welcome. We were quite suprised at this because we though she might not remember us because we only had her about a week and not seen her since we re-homed her at the end of November. It was lovely that she remembered us. Her new owner says she is no problem and a little star. Mandy looked well, gained a little weight and her coat was so shiny. She has her own bed in the alcove of the living room next to the fire where she can see what is going on without getting in the way, she still won't get on the settee or bed to her owner's dismay but she says she's working on that one. Mandy loves sitting outside in the yard/garden and watches the world go by, loves her daily tripe sticks and small dish of milk and weekly knuckle bones but is not overly keen on her toys or going out in the rain. Now that she knows the area she no longer bothers about the traffic as she used to do and is still wary of meeting other dogs but her owner says that is improving. We were so pleased to see her looking so well and happy.
23rd December 2008
Received a note with our Christmas card from Mandy's owner letting us know Mandy is fit and well, getting spoilt and asks for her 'treats' when she wants them. Her owner says she is no trouble at all and a great companion for her.
1st November 2009
Sadly we received a call this morning asking if we could have Mandy back, not through any fault of her own but because of changes in the family circumstances meant the change in lifestyle would not be fair on Mandy.
When I called to collect her she remembered me, which surprised me because its been 3 years since we last saw her and we only fostered her a few days. She was very excited to see me and she happily jumped in the car with Indi, who I took with me hoping Mandy might remember her and feel more settled at leaving her owner. Mandy jumped in the car, sniffed Indi then lay down on the duvet as if she'd been in the car only yesterday!
When we arrived home we introduced her to all our dogs one at a time in the conservatory so as not to over power her and because the weather was foul outside. There was the odd little grumble from her to one or two but that was simply a bitch warning those younger than her to respect her.
She explored around the house downstairs then followed the others upstairs and lay down in the office for a short time whilst I did a bit of work. She then ran down again with the others and waited for her dinner to be prepared, which she happily ate in the conservatory.
After we fed them we left Indi and Sandy at home and took Mandy, Prince and Jake to the pub so we could have a bite to eat as it had been a funny sort of day. For her first day back with us and first trip to the pub she did very well. She was a little nervous of people walking too near her and she began to pant a bit until I lay my coat on the floor for her to lay on. Once laying down she settled with only the occasional whimper every now and again.
Back home she soon settled to one of the dog beds for the rest of the evening.
2nd November 2009
Mandy was a little restless during the night and wanted out three or four times, which is unusual for a Greyhound who has been living in a home for a while. However, it may be nerves and she is probably missing her previous owner. This morning she ate her breakfast then lay in her bed and slept most of the morning along with the others. It was another foul day today and no chance of taking them for a walk - we would have been soaked to the skin by the time we reached the end of the drive - it was that bad.
Mandy has a nasty sore on the middle of her back, which had turned into a scab and her previous owner said she'd
had for some time. Their vet gave her ointment that healed it but every now and again Mandy would rub her back against the wall and cause it to bleed again. Last night and this morning we bathed it with Hibiscrub and made an appointment for our vet to see her, which he did this evening. Having given her a thorough examination and checked her heart etc. we weighed her (59½ lbs - 27.2k) and he clipped a little hair away from around the sore then cleaned the area with more Hibiscrub before diagnosing she had an inflamed fleshy flap type wart. I'd never seen one quite like this before and the vet said ointment if applied would reduce the inflamation and the wart would appear to go away but if they don't and come back and as inflamed as this one then the best course of action is to remove it. He gave us ointment to put on it twice a day in order to reduce the inflamation until we could get her booked in to have it removed. On the way home she whimpered and cried a bit and the wart looked very sore after being examined so we gave her some Metacam to help the pain and gently applied some ointment to it.
3rd November 2009
During the night Mandy wanted out four or five times again and seemed a bit unsettled. When she arrived on Sunday our Greyhounds smelt her rear end rather more than normal and likewise where she had urinated. She seems to be doing a lot of little wees so we are wondering if she has a bit of an infection there or if it is still nerves. She's booked in to the vets tomorrow for the wart to be removed from her back so we will mention it to the vet.
The weather was a lot better today and Mandy happily went around the garden during the day with the others and enjoyed her walk this afternoon. She pulled a little on the lead to begin with but that may have been excitement and because she'd not had a proper walk for two days because of the foul weather. She did loads and loads of tiny wees the whole of her walk and enjoyed her dinner when we arrived back.
Mandy spent some of this afternoon asleep on the carpet in my office with the others and this evening she is a lot more settled, enjoyed the cuddle I gave her on her bed after I put more ointment on her back and is beginning to join in more with the others.
4th November 2009
This morning we took Mandy to the vet where she had the wart on her back removed. The stitches in her back look quite odd, but if they relieve the pain and irritation the wart was causing having a shaved back and a few stitches is well worth it.
22nd November 2009

This morning the lady who is adopting Suki called to collect her and at the same time picked up Mandy because they were going to the DCGR annual Christmas Fayre, an event we were unable to attend because of our bed and breakfast commitments. Once at the fayre another member was going to collect Mandy and take her to her new owner who lives in Southern Scotland. I had a bit of a soft spot for Mandy because of her return so it was a very sad morning to not only see Suki leave us but also Mandy. Mandy will be going to live with a retired lady and we are assured it is the perfect home for Mandy so we wish them both a long happy life together.
December 2009
We received a Christmas card from Mandy's new owner enclosing a couple of photographs or their garden and the area where Mandy is walked because we didn't do the home check because of the distance and she thought we may like to see where Mandy has gone to live, which was a very kind thought. Mandy has settled in so well to her new home and is a complete joy to her new owner. After Mandy went to her new home we telephoned to explain the note we enclosed with her about the wart on her back and the ointment that came with her, which Mandy's new owner said had made things so much easier. She said Mandy is an absolute 'star' and she feels really pleased to have her in the house.
24th January 2010
We received a phone call from Mandy's owner today with news
White and black Greyhound
Mandy in our garden as night was
falling before all the fireworks began
5th November 2009

two greyhounds in the garden
Mandy and Jake in our garden
before all the fireworks began
5th November 2009

white and black greyhound
8th November 2009

white and black greyhound
8th November 2009

that Mandy was happy and the perfect companion. During the heavy snow Mandy hurt her foot on something she never saw in the snow and part of her nail came off so there was a trip to the vet to remove the rest and ensure all was okay. She is now recovering and all seems well.
by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)

© 2004 - 2017 Jenny Stott