Beech Hill House
Beech Hill House B&B
Cumbria LA11 6RH

Dogs welcome, large or small, one or more. A Greyhound haven!

The voluntary work Jenny and Stuart started in July 2004 is a memorial to their darling Penny. Without her coming into their lives none of this would have happened.

Please ring for an appointment to come and see the greyhounds and have a chat. You are most welcome, but as we run a bed and breakfast it is essential you ring and arrange a date and time to visit.
T: 015395 52394

email us


When adopting a greyhound the suggested donation is £150.00 which goes towards neutering, inoculations, upkeep etc. Some people give a little less, while
others want to give more. We are quite flexible with this, and with this we provide:
Martingale Collar, Lead, Muzzle and 4 weeks free cover with the insurance company PetPlan

List of Greyhounds by the date they were homed with links to their diary pages
¦ 2018 ¦ 2017 ¦ 2016 ¦ 2015 ¦ 2014 ¦ 2013 ¦ 2012 ¦ 2011 ¦ 2010 ¦ 2009 ¦ 2008 ¦ 2007 ¦ 2006 ¦ 2005 ¦ 2004 ¦



Become a friend and view Our Profile to see what's happening at the branch and to follow some of our ex-foster greyhounds.

Fosterers are a valuable part of greyhound rescue in that another greyhound is living life away from the kennels and taking the first steps towards getting used to the family way of life. If you live in the South Lakes or the surrounding area and would like to foster a greyhound until we can find him or her a new home.
please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information

Would you like to become a registered volunteer and walk a Greyhound?
Volunteers offering to take a Greyhound for a walk, an afternoon out or a stop-over play a very important role here at the branch.
please contact Jenny or Stuart T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information and to see how you can help.

for those in our care until we find them new homes.
(also pilchards in tomato sauce, sardines and tuna in oil, dog biscuits, Dentastix)

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us

which is what we use for the greyhounds in our care until we find them new homes.

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please deliver to:
Beech Hill House, Witherslack, Cumbria LA11 6RH

Become a VIP member and nominate Greyhound Trust South Lakes as your chosen charity.
If you nominate our branch as your charity the 'lifelines' you collect each time you make a purchase either in store or on-line will go to our branch.
Each quarter we receive a voucher to the value of the lifelines nominated to our branch which we can spend at the Kendal (Cumbria) Pets at Home store on items needed for the dogs in our care while looking for new homes. Thank you.

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)


Below is one of the 82 dogs we fostered for Dumfriesshire & Cumbria
Greyhound Rescue between July 2004 and the 5th December 2009.
On the 9th December 2009 we became the SOUTH LAKES branch
of the Retired Greyhound Trust for whom we are now foster

Paddy arrived with us on Tuesday 1st August 2006
and went to his forever home on Saturday 19th November 2006
He sadly died on Tuesday 2nd January 2007 during an operation after he broke his leg.
He was 3 years 1½ months old
(Rest in peace my darling Paddy)
View Paddy's Pedigree

Paddy's arrival and brief history
Paddy was born on 17th November 2003 making him almost 3 years old, he weighs 82lbs (37.2k), is house-trained, neutered and inoculated.
He walks well on the lead but is a strong dog so and at the moment if he saw something he wanted to look at he could pull a child, petit adult or elderly person over if he decided to go to see what it was. The trouble is Paddy is a young dog who doesn't realise his own strength but we are working with him on this to make him aware and be in control of it. He is cat friendly, good with children, travels well in the car, is playful and loves his cuddly toys.
It is believed that at some time in his life Paddy may have been bitten by another dog or been caught up in a fight and this has made him wary of some strange dogs when they approach him as he seems confused if he can't read their body language correctly. This makes him go on the defensive and although he is a very friendly loving dog he can at the moment lunge at other dogs if he thinks they are going to hurt him - this is
something we are working on at the moment to help him overcome through training. The diagnostic of his fear was only discovered on the 16th August 2006 and prior to that Paddy had been rehomed twice and lived with two sets of fosterers before coming to us, one of the fosterers had cats so he could being monitored for his day to day reactions to them. Both new homes were for short occasions, one failed because there was a change in family circumstances which meant they couldn't keep him anymore and the other, an elderly gentleman who thought him too strong for him when out walking. Paddy is a really lovely dog who has been looking for his forever home for some time and needs a very special home where he will be loved, given stability and someone who will be committed to helping him overcome the fear he has with certain other dogs. It may be that until Paddy overcomes his fear he will remain with us and it may be his forever home should be in the countryside or outskirts of a village or town rather than in the middle where strange dogs are often off the lead to run around as they please.
Paddy's Diary

1st August 2006
Stuart collected Paddy from one of DCGR's emergency fosterers this evening who had been looking after him for a few days following his return from an elderly gentleman. On his way back home he also collected Reggie. Both dogs were quite nervous so we kept them on the lead round the garden and inside the house to allow them to settle. Paddy looked well and he tried 'marking his spot' in the kitchen a couple of times but was stopped and immediately taken into the garden until he did it there before being allowed back inside. The rest of the evening was spent quietly in the living room to help them both settle but Paddy was quite uneasy as he lay on the carpet in front of the fire.
2nd August 2006
Paddy slept well last night and woke early asking to go out. He eats his food quite fast then tries to get the others, which we stop and guide him outside so as to leave the others in peace. He's quite difficult at present going for walks because he pulls on the lead and as he's a such a strong dog you tend to go where he wants to go rather than the other way round. Stuart is walking Paddy until we manage to curb this pulling because I can't manage him along with the others. His pulling may be because of his past and that he doesn't know his own strength combined with excitement and nerves because he's stayed in a few places over the past few weeks so he won't know whether he's coming or going. We are going to give him a couple of days to settle down then will concentrate on training so as to stop this pulling.
3rd August 2006
Paddy is a little more settled today and not pulling on his lead as much now that we are training him not to. He doesn't like the cold water spray so to stop the pull, we are giving him a little spray in the face and saying 'don't pull'. He is very intelligent and picking up very quickly that if he pulls he gets sprayed so it's much better to walk without pulling. He is a very friendly dog, comes for cuddles, loves getting on the settee next to you and sleeping with his head on your lap, he's found the toys in the toy box and enjoys playing with the other dogs.
5th August 2006
Poor Paddy for he has an admirer - Reggie keeps trying to mount him to his annoyance but I think today Paddy has got the message across to Reggie that he wants nothing to do with it.
9th August 2006
Paddy is settling in well, is now eating his food in a more sedate manner and walks into the garden after he's finished of his own accord before coming back in to see if anything has been left in any of the other dishes. I was doing work in the office this afternoon when all the dogs came charging upstairs puffing and panting having obviously been running round the garden. When Paddy came in and flopped on the bed in the office a 'wet smell' also arrived and I noticed him wet through. This was a little puzzling for a few seconds as we'd had no rain for days so we went into the garden to check the pond and found water all over the patio and the water lilies and weed in the pond all askew. They had been running round the garden and Paddy had done an Indi! He had been running so fast he'd been unable to stop so jumped the barrier of pot plants at the side of the pond (put there to stop them walking off the steps into the pond) and landed in it. The pond is quite deep in the middle and the water lilies would have broken his fall but he would have had to swim to the edge before climbing out. Paddy had followed us outside so a thorough examination was carried out to make sure he hadn't hurt himself in anyway. Nothing was found, we all had a chuckle at what he'd done and hope he'd learn't that not all that is green in the garden is to run along! Wish I'd been there to see it.
Paddy decided tonight was the night he wanted up on the settee next to Bobby who wasn't keen and snarled at him, however, Paddy not being put off by grumpy Bob just ignored him and lay down next to him for the evening.
10th August 2006
Considering Paddy didn't like Reggie trying to mount him he found Remy, when he arrived to stay a couple of days very attractive, for he kept wanting to mount him. The first time he did it there was a bit of a rumpus because in trying to mount Remy he trod on

Blank Card of Paddy
Paddy on the Kent Estuary at Arnside
on the 14th October 2006

View and buy
this Blank Card of Paddy

Paddy when he first arrived
into Greyhound Rescue

Paddy the day after he arrived
Relaxing on the 2nd August 2006

Paddy wandering round the garden
In the garden last thing before bed
3rd August 2006

Paddy in the garden last thing at night
. . . and again.

Remy's poorly foot - the one he'd had the corn removed from and as the stitches had only just been removed that day it was still a bit tender.
Paddy is walking much better on the lead these days and, once he knows you have the water spray walks nicely by your side. If he wants to go to the side of the road he tends to sidle across rather than yank you across as he did at the beginning so I am able to walk him now.
12th August 2006
This morning we went to Dalston Show in Cumbria and helped at the DGR stand, introducing the dogs to people and explaining the work we do. When Paddy first came to us we had been warned he was sometimes funny towards some other dogs till he got to know them, some dogs he ignores whilst others he wants to lunge at but no one knew of a common connection ie all small dogs, certain breed, dogs or bitches etc. Knowing this we were very careful with him as dogs constantly approached the stand or walked past him. We found exactly the same - an elderly collie, a small almost hairless dog and others wandering round the stand he ignored. Two black labradors walked past - one he ignored whilst the other he didn't like. A Collie/German Shepherd cross he certainly didn't like at twenty feet away. We left the show with more information about him but still baffled.
13th August 2006
Took Paddy with us to do a home check this morning because they have a cat and he is purportedly cat friendly. He got on well with the couple and soon settled on the floor to sleep whilst we had a chat.
16th August 2006
This evening we took Paddy, armed with all the information we knew about him to see Kevin from Bay Dog Training at his class to ask for help and advice. During the evening he watched how he behaved towards the other dogs in the class and by the end of the session Kevin was convinced that from Paddy's body language towards other dogs both large and small that at some stage in his life he's been either bitten by another dog, been in a fight with another dog or been in a confined space where a fight between dogs has taken place and he's not been able to get away from it. He remembers the experience and is now wary of all other dogs in case they do the same again. Paddy is a frightened dog when he's out and reacts to the body language of the OTHER dog. This can be either friendly and bouncy or warning and aggressive - the problem
Long Legged Beauties
'Just Greyhounds'
2007 Calendar
Paddy in the 2007 Just Greyhounds Calendar
This picture of Paddy was taken
on the 12th August 2006 and is
the December supporting shot
in the calendar.
View Calendar

This picture was also used
for the front cover of the
February/March 2007
edition of the North American
'Animal Wellness' magazine.

more pictures below

is Paddy struggles to decide which is which so he goes on the defensive and his 'flight or fight' instinct kicks in, which makes him want to lunge at the other dog. As he doesn't run away like Indi used to do he stands his ground and its a case of 'I have to get you before you get me'. We therefore need to teach him that not all dogs are the same and that some bouncy dogs are being playful not aggressive. Putting a muzzle on him will allow him to get close to the other dog so he can determine its friendly because it is believed that once he's done that he's fine with it. We also have to socialise him with as many other dogs as we can and when we are out and about teach him to let other dogs walk by and to ignore them. Paddy hates the cold water spray and is more interested in avoiding that than he is of going for a dog so we shall be using the spray during his training the same as we are doing when he tries to pull on the lead.
17th August 2006
The couple we did the home check for the other day want to rehome Paddy. They realise the help he needs to overcome his fear of other dogs and have spoken with Kevin about his assessment last night. As they don't live too far from where the classes are held they are going to work with him to help Paddy. This they know may take a while so it's wonderful. However, I am a little hesitant at present as I would have liked to have taken him to at least a couple of classes first but so long as they are committed to him and have all the information about him all should be fine.
22nd August 2006
We took Paddy to meet his potential new owner's next door neighbour's labrador this evening who, being the elder dog put Paddy in his place, which Paddy accepted. In fact, by the end of the visit all Paddy wanted to do was to play with him but the labrador was having none of it.
23rd August 2006
This afternoon Paddy went to his new home where he is going to live with a couple and their cat. There is a shared area at the back of his house so will have his next door neighbour's elderly labrador, as a companion. We wish him well and hope he has a long and happy life in his new home.
24th August 2006
Phoned this morning to see how Paddy was getting on and so far all seems fine. He's met the labrador again who grumbles at him because
Paddy on the 20th August 2006
Paddy on the 20th August 2006

(more pictures below)

Paddy wants to play. He's met the cat and ignored it! Found the settee with the throw over it which is just for him and risked the stairs, which are a bit dodgy because you can see through them and some dogs are nervous of this but after a bit of hesitation he tried them out. There was one little scare when his new owner took him for a walk last night and a tiny poodle, which was off the lead came charging towards him and started nibbling his feet. His new owner gave him a little squirt of water and told him to leave but Paddy just sniffed the dog as it rolled over on its back and showed him his stomach. Good for Paddy! He slept well last night and this morning has been following his owner around - even when she took a shower, which caused him to sneeze because as he poked his head round the shower curtain the water touched his nose.
26th August 2006
Received a call this morning saying Paddy is settling in and yesterday he met the lurcher who will be staying with them for a few days next week. The two dogs got on well and ran and played together in the paddock where the lurcher lives so all looks well for the two of them sharing a home together next week.
3rd September 2006
Last night we received a call from Paddy's new owners saying they thought they couldn't manage him because the day before there had been an altercation with a terrier as it passed them on a narrow path and the experience shook them up. Having spoken with them in depth last night about the incident we finished the conversation on a positive note and as we were rehoming Jet this morning we said we would call in for a coffee and chat as we were passing their house on the way back. When we called it wasn't for a chat about moving things forward but to take him back which greatly upset us. He had only been there a few days and Paddy has a problem that time, perseverance and commitment should resolve but he needs time so it was very upsetting for us to go and collect him this morning. He gave us a lovely welcome when we arrived and walked back to the car as if he'd been away on holiday but it upset us because it was such a lovely home for him!
6th September 2006
It was an early start this morning with all the dogs jumping in the car whilst it was still dark and driving to Hollyhead for the ferry to Ireland. Paddy travelled well on the ferry and was pleased to see us when we came back to the car at the end of our voyage. We stopped to feed them breakfast at a beach just south of Dublin and Paddy loved his breakfast and walk along the beach. When we arrived at the cottage at Warren Farm and settled ourselves in he ate his dinner and enjoyed his walk through the fields at the back of the farm. The cottage this time has a small private fenced garden so was ideal for him to wander in and out at will and enjoy the autumn sunshine.
9th September 2006
Paddy settled quickly into the cottage with the other dogs and has been enjoying his walks around the farm, along the beaches and various other places we visited. This evening we let him off the lead in the field behind the farm half expecting him to run wild with it being the first time off the lead for sometime. He quite happily trotted around then joined the others for a run, which ended up by the farm gate with them all waiting to go back into the cottage to settle in front of the fire for the night.
10th September 2006
The day started okay and we took all the dogs for a walk and run in the field behind the farm this afternoon. Later Stuart was doing prep work for the calendar so after I fed them I took them across the yard to the small paddock where they go to do their toilet. Bobby and Indi were off the lead as usual and both Paddy and Romeo were on theirs. As we walked from alongside the car and farm wall Indi suddenly came face to face with about twenty chickens. She spooked them and they spooked her causing them to set off up the yard at a run with Indi following them. Mayhem set hold as she chased a chicken the full length of the yard with me calling her to stop and following with Paddy and Romeo in tow. Both dogs were running by my side on the right and we had almost caught up with her and she had just managed to take hold of the chicken when Paddy suddenly decided he never had enough room and ran behind me and up my left side. At a run his lead went behind my legs and 'scooped' them up causing me to fall with a bang. I landed on my backside but the whole of my left side hurt including my ribs and knee. No way was I going to let go of those leads and have Paddy and Romeo join in the chicken chase so I clung on and probably got dragged a foot or so until both Paddy and Romeo realised I was down. Indi stopped in her tracks, dropped the chicken and turned to look at me. She was turning to come towards me as I started getting to my feet to which she must have thought 'oh she's okay' and off she went again after the chicken. The last thing I saw was her running round the corner of the barn with chicken in her mouth and it's wings flapping in front of her. I stood up, got Paddy and Romeo under control and with Bobby walking behind followed at a hobble. We met Stuart at the cottage gate with Indi being held by her collar to be informed the chicken was in the cottage under the settee. We organized all the dogs and once secured in the garden we went inside to put the chicken in a box and take it back to our friend who owns the farm with our tail between our legs. Indi has walked amongst those chickens dozens of times and not once has she ever bothered about them - it must have been because she and they were startled. Our friend took the chicken and put it back in the hut with the others saying it wasn't injured but just shocked and would be okay in the morning but minus all it's tail feathers. Stuart had heard me scream as I fell and ran from the cottage to see what had happened to be faced with Indi coming towards him with chicken in her mouth and it flapping it's wings in front. By the time he'd caught up with her she was sitting on her bed in the cottage looking at him as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth and the chicken sitting by her side looking at him as if to say 'well what happens now?' before it dashed under the settee.
15th September 2006
It's our last night in Ireland and Paddy has enjoyed his stay although it's been rather a peculiar few days because Iv'e had trouble walking and been in a lot of pain. Borrowed a walking stick, been everywhere in the car and had to watch Stuart walking the dogs as I haven't been able to hold them. Paddy's funny, he's the only dog we've had that stands with his head out of one passenger window of the car and his tail wagging out of the other side. When you are out the car all you can see is his head out one window and is his tail wagging like mad out the other side of the car. Wish we'd taken a picture. Paddy also loves sitting in the front seat of the car when the dogs are left in there and many a time we've heard the car horn sounding where he's turned himself around and sat on the horn in the process. When anyone nearby turns to see what is going on we smile at each other and say 'Paddy'. Our car also has a constant row of nose marks all along the front windscreen where he stands on the front seats and looks out but touches the window when he's doing it. He's a laugh a minute when he's in the car. Paddy never got the chance to run off the lead in the field again because some sheep were put in it, which was a bit of a shame but at least he had one good run.
28th September 2006
Following a second trip to the doctor and a visit to the hospital we discovered today I'd fractured my pelvis, which explains the constant pain, not being able to walk and having difficulty looking after the dogs. Stuart's been taking them all out and because of my injury and the pressures associated with me not being able to do anything we've not been able to get Paddy back to Kevin at Bay Dog Training to move him forward as we would have liked. However, we've been working with him and carefully watching him. Some days he's okay with other dogs and some days he's not. Stuart keeps saying he thinks he's confused and it's very difficult weighing him up sometimes.
3rd October 2006
During a walk this evening Paddy pulled his head from his collar, not sure why because he doesn't normally do that sort of thing. It may have been him backing away from the sight of the water spray and we are usually very careful of making sure all the collars are on tight enough. However, Paddy ran towards some other dogs, there was an incident with one of them and they had to be parted. Once parted Paddy stood still looking shocked and frightened whilst Stuart put his collar back on and brought all the dogs home. The other dog needed treatment at the vet and we were very distressed because this sort of thing has never happened to us before and had I not been ill and been able to walk the dogs with Stuart then we feel the incident would never have happened.
4th October 2006

Last night was a dreadful accident and Paddy doesn't deserve all the blame for had I not been ill and been able to do more around the house and join Stuart for the daily walks then it may not have happened. Paddy's future hung in the balance but we were adamant that nothing was going to happen to one of our foster dogs especially when it wasn't all his fault. We fought hard for him and had decided that if the wrong decision was made by those who made the decisions then Stuart and I were going to adopt him. Nothing was going to happen to one of our foster dogs.
Following a phone call we took Paddy to see Kevin this evening, who has been a dog behaviorist for over thirty years. He is going to assess him and we will act on his advise. Paddy wore a muzzle to be on the safe side and Stuart took the cold water spray into the room with us so Paddy could meet the other the dogs. Some he was quite happy with but some who bounced forward to greet him he reacted to and a Pug who came up to say hello he didn't like at all - but then he's probably never seen one before and apparently the Pug has a habit of wanting to greet every dog she sees in her very confident manner so Paddy's reaction didn't surprise Kevin and helped confirm his suspicions.
Kevin feels that although Paddy gives off the appearance of being a confident, happy, outgoing dog it is a disguise for he is actually a very insecure, sensitive dog who is not confident with the world around him, can't cope with dogs that come towards him 'in his face' or growl at him and doesn't realise that some 'things' are actually dogs. This means that when he sees one he's not seen before or it growls or comes at him in a certain manner he becomes so scared that his defensive 'fight or flight' kicks in. Kevin listened to all we said, we kept nothing back for what good would that do Paddy and assessed his behaviour with the other dogs in the class. By the end of the evening Kevin said he felt Paddy would overcome his problem given time and constructive socialisation with as many different dogs as possible so the training program begins.
Kevin suggested we put him on Valerian Root Extract 500mg (2 tablets daily), which is used for dogs who are nervous, snappy towards other dogs and frightened of fireworks etc. which should calm his nerves. When we cuddle him we must hold him firmly, stroke him firmly and pat him so as not to tickle him , which will increase his confidence. Paddy became very distressed when all the dogs in the class started walking in circles around the room so Kevin showed us how to hold, stroke and pat him and Paddy leaned into him. Kevin explained he was leaning into him for confidence and to feel safe and confirmed he lacked confidence in the world around him and is looking to someone to help him face the world so we are to say the word 'calm' to him as we stroke him when he is calm so he will associate the word with calmness and that he can look to us to ensure he is okay. Kevin also measured him for a 'half-check' collar, set it to fit correctly and showed us how it worked so he's wearing a collar that he cannot back out of.
5th October 2006
Paddy has been wearing his 'half-check' collar all day today because it normally hangs loose so is ideal as a house collar but when you hold it or clip a lead to it he can't back out of it because of the way it's designed. After the experience with the dog a couple of days ago coupled with last night at the training class he's not been himself today, wants to be on his own and is even grumbling at Romeo if he walks over the top of him or comes over wanting to play. This afternoon we bought the Valerian Root tablets and commenced giving him them this evening with his food. From now on until we are told otherwise he will be on two a day giving him one each meal time. It may take two to four weeks before we start to see changes in his behaviour. We also hope it helps to settle him after the trauma he experienced recently because the experience has really affected him. Kevin says we should notice small changes to begin with and we may not even notice them to start with.
6th October 2006
Since the incident we've noticed Paddy often has a sad look in his eyes and wants to be in the same room as us unlike before when he would happily lay on his bed in the office or on the sheepskin in the living room on his own. If I am in the office so is he, if I go downstairs he will follow and sit in the kitchen with me, if I go in the garden he follows me and when I go to bed he sleeps on a bed in our bedroom unlike before when he often slept the night on his bed in the office. I suppose this is understandable with what's happened over the past few days and hopefully, with time and the Valerian tablets starting to work he will settle again.
We've been working on leadership routines with Paddy ever since he arrived as we do with all our dogs but with me being ill following my fall the training slackened off a while, which was unfortunate but inevitable. However, since having an x-ray and confirming I'd fractured my pelvis and attending the fracture clinic last week where they changed my medication the pain has become less extreme. I feel a little better and fractionally more mobile so feel I can help Stuart with more of the training as some of what Kevin has asked us to do such as teaching him the word 'calm' I can manage as it involves Paddy standing still.
7th October 2006
Since Paddy arrived we've been working with him to stop gobbling his food then diving into the other's dishes to eat theirs. Whilst in Ireland we started a regime of not allowing him to even lick any other dish than his own, which needed supervision and commenced with holding his collar and leading him outside and shutting the door so the others could eat theirs and as their dishes were emptied they were lifted. Paddy and Romeo were given theirs first then I would give Bobby and Indi theirs. By the time we'd got back from Ireland he'd progressed to the point whereby if I fed him and Romeo in the conservatory with Indi and Bobby in the kitchen and shut the door in between he would eat his food, then go outside to 'do', come back in, ignore Romeo finishing his off and wait by the door till it was open to dive inside to see what Indi and Bobby had left but when he came inside the dishes had been lifted so by the beginning of this week he was no longer dashing in to wait by the kitchen door but lingering in the garden and conservatory longer. Since the incident and to work on the leadership skills even further we now feed Indi and Bobby first then walk into the conservatory and feed Romeo then Paddy last. However, before we put their food down we make them wait until we say they can eat and Paddy, although only been doing it a couple of days or so is doing really well. Tonight we never shut the door between the kitchen and conservatory and having ate his dinner and gone outside to 'do' Paddy wandered back in to the kitchen to say hello and ignored all the other dishes, which we were really pleased about and feel sure this will continue.
8th October 2006
Don't know why but Paddy wouldn't leave his bed to go out last thing last night and when Stuart took him by the collar to lead him outside he growled at him. This was a first and quite surprised us so Stuart went for the cold water spray before taking his collar again and leading him outside. As soon as he saw the spray he got up because he hates it. When he came back inside he stood in the conservatory shaking like a leaf and Stuart held him firmly for a good five minutes and spoke to him in the way Kevin showed us before he showed signs of relaxing again. Don't know why he did this because he's never growled at us before nor been bothered about going out last thing at night before so we wondered if he thought we were unhappy with him over the dog incident and he was going to be shut outside. Inside the house again he went to his bed in my office where we thought he was going to stay the night but once our light was off he came into our room and slept on the spare dog bed a the bottom of our bed. This behaviour is something we've never seen in Paddy before so the dog incident has certainly had an effect on him.
9th October 2006
Last night Paddy did the same for me when we called them all down to go out last thing. He would not get up off his bed, was shaking and did a little growl at me when I took his collar to lead him so we got the water spray again and Stuart led him outside. Once he'd finished he came running in this time and straight to his bed in my office wandering through into our bedroom again once the light was off.
When the alarm went off this morning Paddy came and rested his head on the bed next to me to say good morning in the way he used to do before the incident. He's laying on his back in his bed again today with his legs in the air and when he came downstairs first thing he coped much better with Romeo who wanted to play and Paddy ran, jumped and played for a few seconds with him before going back to his bed to wait for his breakfast. We think he knows he's done wrong, has fallen out of favour and become very insecure as a result. We thought his behaviour this morning was a positive sign of him recovering the ordeal with the other dog along with his assessment night, which really unsettled him and is beginning to turn back into the Paddy we know and love again. However, it was spoilt when Romeo walked over the top of him whilst he was laying on the floor waiting for his breakfast. Romeo was trying to get past him and Paddy jumped up an extremely unhappy dog. He growled at Romeo as Romeo walked past him in the conservatory whilst he was still eating his breakfast. We've never seen this happen before so we took his food from him for a minute or so to tell him growling was not allowed in this house when feeding and after breakfast he lay on the floor behind Stuart in the office. Paddy is a very sensitive and insecure dog at the moment for he lays next to whoever was the one who didn't last reprimand him or ask him to do something he didn't want to do yet he's not comfortable to
lay in a room on his own without one of us being there.
10th October 2006
We were please to see Paddy playing with Romeo again this afternoon, which is the first time since his socialisation class last Wednesday.

7th September 2006
An afternoon nap in the sunshine
7th September 2006

Paddy on holiday in Ireland
On holiday in Co. Wexford, Ireland
7th September 2006

Paddy on holiday
The same picture again
but a close up
7th September 2006

Romeo with Paddy
Romeo and Paddy
7th September 2006

Paddy on 9th Sept 2006
In the corn field at Warren Farm in
Ireland on the 9th September 2006

Paddy on the 9th September 2006
In the corn field again
9th September 2006

Running in the corn field
Running in the corn field behind
Warren Farm in Ireland
10th September 2006

Paddy enjoying a run
and again . . . .
10th September 2006

Paddy playing
and again . . . .
10th September 2006

Paddy racing around the cornfield
and again . . . .
10th September 2006

Enjoying a run
and again . . . .
10th September 2006

Paddy racing
and again . . . .
10th September 2006

Paddy playing in Ireland
and again . . . .
10th September 2006

Playing with Bobby and Romeo
Playtime with Bobby
and Romeo
10th September 2006

Playtime with Bobby and Romeo
and again . . . .
10th September 2006

Long Legged Beauties
'Just Greyhounds'
2008 Calendar
This picture of Paddy was taken
at Arnside on the 14th October 2006
and is our main August calendar shot
View Calendar

11th October 2006
Found Stuart on the floor playing with Paddy this morning - and Paddy was playing with him, which is the first time since his socialisation class last Wednesday.
This evening it was back to socialisation classes where again we stood at the back of the class and allowed him to watch what was going on. He was very nervous and unsure to begin with but as the evening wore on he became a bit better but he still needs watching when a dog approaches as he may lunge. However, Poppy the little Jack Russell pup insisted on coming up to meet him. She was very bold and jumped up putting her paws on his cheeks, near her eyes and even inside his muzzle into his mouth. We muttered under our breath please Paddy don't shut your mouth just yet, not with her feet in there. He never did because he loved playing with her and when she wasn't jumping up to cuddle his face she was on her back allowing him to sniff her. It was such a lovely sight and proves there is hope.

14th October 2006

Had a visit from the fosterers Paddy stayed with before coming to us and what a lovely welcome he gave them. During his greeting and later whilst playing with them he did this growl he does with us sometimes - he was playing and wagging his tail at the time and the other fosterers are convinced this is his way of playing or saying how happy he is. Apparently, he did it with them and one of their own dogs also does it when they are playing with him. Think we will ask Kevin about this because although he was doing it whilst playing today he's done it with us when we've been cuddling him and asking him to go out at night when he started shaking, so I'm not sure. From watching him I think this growling may follow an event that unsettles him and depending upon how much it unsettled him determines how long, in hours or days that HE feels insecure with either everyone or everything around him until 'the dust has settled'. I think, and I may be wrong but this growling maybe his way of saying he's been upset and, or is feeling insecure with what is happening around him. Paddy seems to get very emotionally confused at times which makes him quite difficult to read him. Mind you the fact I am stumbling around with a walking stick and hobbling all the time won't help matters either.
We had him checked over today because of this yelping he does on occasions when he's been asleep and tries to stand up. We thought it may have been his shoulder but it turned out to be a trapped sciatic nerve down his back leg and both his hip joints were out of line, which have now been put back in place so hopefully, he should feel much better.
15th October 2006
Paddy came to our bedside this morning and rested his head on the bed next to us to say good morning, which is the first time since last Wednesday's socialisation class and quicker than he did after his first socialisation class. He gave my sister and her partner a really nice welcome, but then he does with all visitors as he's a really friendly dog. It was a lovely day today so we went for a walk along the canal bank and, as usual we put his muzzle on before getting out of the car. He's getting much better at letting us put it on him and he's getting more used to wearing one. This evening was a big first for he plucked up the courage to climb on the settee next to Bobby - and Bobby let him. It was only for a few minutes before he climbed off again but he did it!
16th October 2006
Paddy has progressed well and waits patiently whilst his food is being put down and, although he wants to eat it he will wait until we tell him its okay to go ahead and eat it. When we are handing out the pig's ears at lunch time he no longer pushes to the front but will wait patiently at the back until it's his turn then comes forward and waits until we say its okay and give him one, which he now takes gently instead of grabbing as he used to do.
17th October 2006
Paddy never came down to go out last thing with the others this evening so Stuart went upstairs to his bed for him. As he was leaning down to take his collar Paddy growled at him. Paddy then began to tremble all over with fear, as if he'd decided that was not a good thing to do. Stuart walked away to get the water spray from the kitchen but before going upstairs with it again he called Paddy as if in play and Paddy came running down the stairs, tail wagging and went out with the others no problem. Since 'the incident' Paddy has done this two or three times last thing at night and we are beginning to wonder if he's either been shut out at night at some time or he thinks its going to happen again, or it may be he's learn't that by growling at humans they will leave him alone. Whichever the case we can't have this and is something we will work on to resolve.
18th October 2006
Back to socialisation classes again tonight and Paddy armed with muzzle on was trembling as soon as he got out the car. We sat on the front row of seats as suggested by Kevin last week so Paddy could be a little nearer the action. It was quite a complicated evening as many of the dogs were new to the class so they didn't know each other, were running about at times and grumbling and barking at each other, which caused Paddy distress. In some ways he was better this evening but in other ways he was worse. However, speaking to Kevin he said that last week was such an improvement he almost expected a slight set back this week. He was better in that he was calmer when certain new dogs approached him and he remembered Poppy the little Jack Russell pup from last week who came over to say hello and play with him. Paddy knew she was a pup playing with him, it was lovely to watch and we knew both were safe because of Paddy's muzzle. It was worse in that one of the dogs there couldn't stand another dog looking at it in the eyes without wanting to lung at them and had come to classes to overcome his/her fear. It was their fifth or sixth week and it was far better than when it first started classes, however, we didn't know this at the time and Paddy couldn't cope with it so we kept him well away as he became very distressed and tried to snap. I think this may have un-nerved him because he then tried snapping at one or two other dogs who came running towards him but Kevin showed us how to become pack leader, take over the situation by coming between the two dogs and telling Paddy we were having none of it. Eventually he calmed down and buried his head into my legs to hide and for security.
We discussed with Kevin our concerns over him beginning to growl when we want him out last thing and he confirmed it may be because Paddy has decided he didn't want to go and by growling at humans they backed off and left him alone. He said we, as pack leaders must make him go if we say so and showed us how to deal with this by walking up to him and dropping a slip lead over his head then walking away making Paddy come with us. The slip lead will tell him we mean business and he will associate it with him not having his own way. It gives us distance for safety in case he growls or even decides to snap at us, which I must admit he's never done before and the length of lead will reduce the risk of us instinctively backing off should he growl because this is what we mustn't do because if he sees us doing it then he knows he's winning. Whatever he does he must come with us and Kevin was confident that using the slip lead a few times would resolve the problem. When we finished class and he climbed back in the car Bobby gave him a couple of growls as if to say 'calm down and stop being so stupid', which worked wonders on Paddy because he knows where he stands in the pack with Bobby and settled down in the car really fast tonight.
20th October 2006
Paddy has settled much quicker since his socialisation class on Wednesday evening and not as grumpy with Romeo who will insist on walking over him, bouncing towards him and wanting to play all the time, which we think Paddy feels is just too much and is telling him so the same way that Bobby and Indi do when he tries it on with them. This evening Stuart lay on the floor next to Paddy and played with him down at his level which he happily accepted and later in the evening he climbed on the settee next to Bobby even though Bobby objected so we asked him not to and Paddy climbed on and lay next to him. It was keep his distance to begin with but after a few minutes they were happily laying touching each other and later Paddy was on his back with legs in the air loving every minute.
Since speaking with Kevin about how to handle him when he growls at us for getting him to go out at night we've had no problems!
Paddy is a really sensitive and insecure dog who may have suffered in the past and, having been passed about a bit during his short life has made him frightened of the world and easily affected by what goes on around him. What Paddy needs is a secure loving home with people who will work with him, for him. He hates being told off because he goes very quiet and has a really sad look in his eyes for some time afterwards. He's frightened of being told off and falling out of favour and very slow to 'come round' and trust the people he's with once again after something happens. This is what caused him to go so far back after the dog incident. He knew he'd done wrong, he knew we weren't happy about it and it knocked his confidence and trust in us causing him to be very wary of us and often wanting to be on his own. However, very gently, little by little we built his confidence again by acting normal around him, treating him the same as the others and only giving him small stokes and cuddles of a few seconds at a time, which we slowly built up to be longer and longer. This is why he grumbles when we cuddle him for too long after an incident, whether it be after a training class or being told off for eating one of the other's dinners because he's confused (one minute he's being told off and the next he's being loved - what's going on? Are these people good or not!!!) and this is why he can only cope with small cuddles to begin with and as the days go by and his confidence in us builds again he accepts longer cuddles and even comes to us for them. Hopefully, being on the Valerian for a while will help him dispel his fears that every time he's told off there's a chance he could be hurt or thrown out, and, they will help him accept that when he's being told off for something it's only for that moment and the people who are doing the telling off still love him. Anyone wanting to rehome Paddy needs to understand this until he really, really gets to know them otherwise their reactions towards his reactions could easily cause a long term negative effect on him and thus spoil their enjoyment with him and his with them. With Paddy it's little by little, bit by bit, gently does it until he gains confidence in you. Having me stumbling around the place and being unsteady on my feet because of my fractured pelvis does not help matters.
21st October 2006
Well, Paddy is getting brave for he climbed onto the settee this evening next to Bobby and settled down for the evening to Indi's disgust because it's her seat! Although Bobby looked at him and curled his lip as he was getting on it was no more than that and Paddy simply carried on climbing on.
22nd October 2006
Paddy's set his routine because he was up on the settee next to Bobby again this evening. However, before the dog 'incident' he used to get on the settee next to Stuart and have his neck rubbed so the incident has knocked his confidence in laying next to Stuart - perhaps its because we have been ensuring he realise's we are the pack leaders and not him so he doesn't feel its his place to do it again just yet.
23rd October 2006
When Paddy lays on his bed in the office I have to lean over him to turn the radio on or photocopy something and because I struggle to lift my left foot up off the floor I sometimes catch his bed with my foot as I am trying to lift it to put on his bed whilst I do the radio or photocopier. Sometimes I wobble because I am so unsteady and this afternoon he growled at me on his bed as I got close. This I am going to ignore because he probably thinks I am going to fall onto him.
Went to training classes at Staveley Village Hall this evening - new dogs different location, Kevin thought he would go back a step but he didn't really, very interested in an English Bull Terrier (probably the first he'd seen) who was deaf. Kevin later walked him round the room past the other dogs who were standing in a circle around the outside but it was a bit too much for him so he left it to try again next week.
27th October 2006
Paddy, when going out for a walk now waits patiently inside the hall on his lead until we go out the front door first then follows us out. He no longer pulls and tries to barge through the others to get out the door first but waits patiently behind us until told to come. This is real progress.
28th October 2006
During this morning's feeding routine I asked Paddy for his dish as I'd done previously and he just stood back and let me have it, which quite surprised me. I added a couple more spoonfuls of meat, lifted the dish and pretended to eat some (I ate little bits of our beef), gave Paddy tiny bits of beef as his titbit for letting me have his dish then asked him to wait whilst I put his dish down and upon the word 'okay' allowed him to carry on eating his food. After he'd been in the garden he came into the kitchen and lay on the floor and a few minutes later I went to stroke him. He allowed this for a while but as I was about to leave him there was a tiny growl - he had decided he'd had enough or had I overbalanced about the same time, which was a pity because I then had to stay give him a grumble to show I wasn't having any of it then stroked his head again, said good boy and walked away - for I had won! Later that morning whilst I was making the bed he walked past me and I put my hand down to stroke him and he growled again, lay on his bed and shook so we had to repeat me grumbling until he stopped. It's almost as if he looses confidence at times in us and thinks we are going to hurt him - he really does get confused at times. Think I'm going to try a slightly different approach in that each time I decide to stroke him I'm going to give him a treat as well so he associates the spontaneous stroking by me with a treat so something to look forward to. He never did this before the dog incident and does it mostly with me and very little with Stuart so I think it may be because of the 'incident' or by wobbly way of walking has un nerved him. I've also been doing a lot of work with him on leadership so perhaps because of this he feels insecure, growls and shakes with me at times as he thinks I may be going to hurt him. It's strange because other times when HE feels confident he's a different dog with me and loves his cuddles and plays.
29th October 2006
Attended the fund raising event at Carlisle Racecourse all day today - what a long day! Paddy, complete with muzzle spent most of the day with his previous fosterer who offered to look after him whilst we manned the stall.
This morning and this evening Paddy didn't need to be told to wait for his dinner. On both occasions he hung back, watched us put his food down, waited until we said 'okay Paddy' then walked forward to eat his food. Also the 'blip' we had for a couple of occasions when Paddy didn't want to go outside and showed this by growling when asked to go out has not happened since and he happily goes out with the others - well done Paddy!
3rd November 2006
Had a visit today from Jack and Millie. Millie was a bit growly with Jack when we first rehomed him so we put Paddy's muzzle and harness on to protect all the dogs in case she was growly with Paddy. Paddy became upset over something and there was an altercation when Millie gave him a growl and Jack came to her help so we decided two Valerian tablets were not enough and we are going to increase them to three a day.
5th November 2006
We went to the family this morning who are thinking of re-homing Paddy at their home so we could introduce him and go for a walk in their area. We took all the dogs with us and they enjoyed their walk but Paddy wasn't too keen on getting over the stone style we came across half way round and needed a helping hand to get over. Back at their house we had a cup of tea and Paddy made himself at home.
8th November 2006
Something is WRONG. Things do NOT gel together. He is confused. He is dominant. He wants to be leader. He is insecure. He is submissive. He is frightened. He is inconsistent - Something is WRONG I know it but what? All last night I kept mulling things over and over in my head, going over and over everything from the day we first met Paddy and this morning I set to looking through all the paperwork I had for him and making enquiries with a hope of finding some answers. Something isn't right I just know it but what is it?
We met the couple who are considering adopting Paddy this evening. We had a cup of tea and a chat then went to training classes. We wanted them to see what he was like put amongst a lot of other dogs. Tonight there were three or four dogs who didn't seem to get on with each other so it wasn't a very relaxing evening and we had to watch Paddy. During the evening he made a lung for three dogs, which never surprised us considering the nature of the dogs attending tonight but we were in control and he was on a muzzle so no harm was done. The whites of his eyes tend to go red when he gets very frightened and he pants a lot. Kevin pointed out two dogs there who had been attending for three to four months with exactly the same problem as Paddy and they were happily walking amongst the others and they weren't the ones causing the friction! So, as Kevin explained there is hope for Paddy but it will a long haul. He didn't shake the same as he's done before and he settled the moment he was out in the car park again.
I had a word with Kevin about how I thought something was wrong and noticed he has a discharge similar to a whole dog but he was neutered so could something physical cause his behavioral problems to which he replied it could and suggested we get the vet to test his urine for infections and diabetes.
9th November 2006
Following our questions yesterday about his testosterone we discover this evening that none of the dogs in his litter were born with scrotums. The blood test and Endocrinology report taken last May was to determine his level of Testosterone to see if he should be neutered or not and because it read 7.1 it was decided he didn't need to be neutered. The fact he wasn't neutered came as quite a surprise to us so this evening when he rolled over on his back on the settee we had a good look. He looks as if he's been neutered for there is nothing there, however, I noticed a small darkened area, which I thought was just his colouring till I touched it to find it wasn't and Paddy wasn't too happy about me touching it. In view of what we've discovered over the past couple of days and piecing everything together we are going to take him to the vet for tests. It may be that in maturing into an adult dog over the past few months his hormone balance has changed but he's confused as he doesn't know if he is a dog or not. I know it sounds crazy but if his head is telling him he's a whole dog but he has immature testicles or they are working but not properly because they need be on the outside then this may be what has been causing his problems. We have commented many a time that we think he's confused so maybe that is it. Anyway we are going to ask for another blood test to see if the Testosterone has increased because of his daily discharge similar to a 'whole' dog, which is not quite as much but he swells up occasionally, his sometimes nervousness and insecurity combined with his sometimes dominant behaviour (pulling on the lead, always wanting to be first, his insistence in needing to smell every wee he passes and jittering at the lip when he's doing it, trying to ride Remy, interested in some bitches, wanting to have a go at some 'whole' dogs for no apparent reason, accepting that Bobby is above him in the pack but trying to be above Romeo by growling at him when he comes near or comes for attention when Paddy is being stroked). We've also noticed his urine is sometimes quite strong, which has killed some of my less hardy plants and did smell on the patio when he did it there, so much so I moved the plant pots away to discourage him from weeing so close to the door and the smell coming into the conservatory. We thought it was because we had such a hot dry summer with no rain so I used to throw the washing up water over it to dilute and remove the smell from near the back door as it was so strong. Therefore we are going to get it checked for infections and ask about the wound between his legs. Stuart has said on a number of occasions 'he's just confused' and all this may explain why I haven't been able to 'suss' him out earlier. It has been indicated that all or some of these may be contributing to his behavioral problems so we need to either confirm them or rule them out.
Over the past few days I've started taking the dogs out for short walks on my own and over the past couple of days I've taken all four out, but with my mobile phone and at a time when I know few other dogs will be around so if we see any I stand still with the dogs all well back from the oncoming dog to reduce the risk of problems with barking or pulling in case I couldn't hold them because I am still quite weak down my left leg.
11th November 2006
I took a drive this morning to collect Mandy who was being rehomed to the Ambleside area. I was on my own as Stuart was working and it was raining heavily so Mandy was introduced to the others in the back of the car. All the others got on well with her - Paddy, when he saw her thought 'wow' and behaved like any dog would towards a cute little bitch. He had his harness on and I put the muzzle on him before she got in the car to be on the safe side, which meant I could hold him and use the water spray if need be. There was a little bit of grumbling between them to begin with but nothing out of the ordinary then Paddy decided she was so nice he started behaving like a dog having found his mate. Mandy didn't approve of this and promptly sat down to avoid his attention. After a few growls and snarls from her he began to leave her alone. His behaviour made me realise more than ever it was a good thing we are taking him to the vet on Monday for examinations and tests.
12th November 2006
Took Paddy into one of the local pubs this evening for the first time and put his muzzle on in case there were other dogs in there. He wasn't too sure to begin with as it was quite busy and noisy so kept snuggling into us for reassurance. He was quite nervous but, after about half an hour we took him over to the bar to say hello to a friend and people around him started stroking him and saying hello. He began to relax then after about an hour it became less busy so we took his muzzle off and he really enjoyed being admired and stroked by the people around us. This evening has done him the world of good.
13th November 2006
Took Paddy to the vet this morning along with a sample of his urine for examination. His urine test showed no infections or diabetes but there was quite a high level of protein and, along with our observations and a physical examination it's believed he's still a whole dog. The vet could have done other tests but were convinced from what we've told them that his testicles are up inside where they will be too hot so they won't be functioning properly. So to help his behaviour and to prevent cancer later on the vet is going to operate to remove them and an appointment was made for Wednesday.
After the vets Paddy went to his potential new owner for a few hours to help them decide one hundred percent that they wanted him before they have him permanently. Until they get to know him and to be absolutely sure they want him forever, because this will be his fourth home so he will be living with us and going for days out and 'stop overs' to them - his security will be with us and his holidays with them so if it all falls through he's back with us as if he's not been away.
We collected Paddy from his potential new owner around 3pm - he'd seen the cat in the house once then later introduced himself to her again through the fence in the garden. He was quite taken by the Chinchilla and Guinea Pig as he's not seen the like before but with a firm 'leave' he left them alone and because they were in their cages they just hid from him anyway. He'd met a dog during his walk but soon realised his new owner meant business using the water spray and 'leave' whilst they were passing. The problem with Paddy is he's been allowed, albeit unwittingly to lunge at other dogs in the past so now he must be given no opportunity until he learns to say hello but nothing else.
Busy day for this evening we met his potential new owner again at his weekly training class where she took command of him - part of the time participating with the other dogs in the class and at other times standing to one side allowing him to watch the other dogs running around doing recall and agility. Although Paddy was nervous of the other dogs to begin with and we thought he was going to lunge for one at one point this week was his best session yet. By the end he was much less stressed and on several occasions lay down to watch, which shows he was feeling less need to be 'on guard' - a huge improvement!
15th November 2006
Paddy went to the vet this morning for his neutering operation where he weighed in at 84.9lbs (34.5k). When we collected him this afternoon he was pleased to see us but was quite subdued. The vet explained he had 12 stitches so we were to treat his after care in the same way as a bitch being spayed and they wanted to see him again in three days time to ensure all was going well. She explained that both testicles had been found and removed. They were not where they were suppose to be so they had to follow the tubes back till they found them hence the number of stitches. One testicle was normal and up near the stomach. The other was abnormally small and embedded into the tissue of the stomach wall so would have turned cancerous later in life. We were so pleased our suspicions were correct because now we feel we can help him move forward. Kevin our behaviorist believes that more than 90% of his problems may have been down to this and give him three or four months to allow his hormones to settle and we should see a new Paddy.
16th November 2006
Paddy was still very sore again this morning so we restricted his walks and he had a fairly lazy day. His potential new owner came over to visit him for a couple of hours, which will help the bonding process. We've had to put the Elizabethan collar on Paddy at night to stop him licking his stitches, which he accepts but is not happy about.
17th November 2006
Paddy's potential new owner came over again today to spend time with him. She brought us a lovely bunch of flowers to say thank you for saving his life not once but twice! It made me feel very humble. It was a lovely day so around lunchtime we all went for a walk together which he enjoyed.
18th November 2006
Took Paddy to the vet this morning for a check up to make sure his wound and stitches were healing properly, which they were. We then drove him to his potential new owners where he was going to stay the weekend so he didn't have to travel up to Dumfries tomorrow for the show, which we think he might have found to be too much too soon after his operation.
19th November 2006
Whilst at the Greyhound Show and Christmas Fair in Dumfries this afternoon we received a text from Paddy's potential new owners saying the children were asking if they could keep him again this evening. We sent a text back saying that would be fine and we would ring to see how he was when we got home. They had been so pleased with Paddy and had fallen in love with him so much they wanted to keep him another night and would ring tomorrow to let us know how he was.
20th November 2006
Received a call this morning from Paddy's potential new owners saying he wasn't happy about sleeping downstairs on his own last night so they relented and let him sleep in their bedroom where he happily slept all night. He'd walked with the children to school this morning then back the long way round making a total of about four miles so when his potential owner called to let us know how he was he was crashed out in his bed - worn out! He'd met and was introduced to another dog whilst out and all went well. Both owners allowed them to meet very carefully and by using Paddy's water spray and the word 'leave' they met and said hello, which was a positive step forward. She also said they had all fallen in love with him and asked if they could keep him permanently.
21st November 2006
Paddy blotted his copy book today because we received a call this evening saying he'd killed the guinea pig and we fully expected having to go and collect him as a result. He had seen the guinea pig move, head butted the cage, which was on the floor causing the top to come off and he had it in his mouth. Unfortunately, it died before he could be made to drop it. It's distraught owner shut Paddy in the kitchen to his disgust and mourned the guinea pig in the living room. Luckily for Paddy the family forgave him but they've made the room with the Chinchilla in an 'out of bounds' area for Paddy and they now realise they have to be very careful with him and their cat because we don't want any more accidents.
24th November 2006
Called in this afternoon to see Paddy and his new owner to see how they were getting on and to take a box of chocolates, which Paddy asked me to get to say sorry about the guinea pig! I only called in for a visit but his new owner wanted to become his real owner and wanted everything signed and sealed. This took me a bit by surprise and because I never had the paperwork with me we arranged to meet next week to complete everything. Paddy looked really happy and content in his new home. He walks with the children to school then continues on for another mile or two going home the long way. Some days he's been getting home and flaking out on him bed as he's not used to it. He's meeting lots of dogs on his walks and his owner is working with him to help him realise they are nothing to fear and if he's afraid to just walk away from them instead of taking the lunge. He's met their cat a few times but always under controlled circumstances and with a muzzle. He's not being as cat friendly as he was originally but the dog incidences and the guinea pig may have put him back a bit in this area and his new owner is working on this and understands it may take a little longer than originally anticipated to get the two of them to be friends. He's been left in the house on his own and he's fine, giving them all a lovely greeting upon their return.
25th November 2006
Paddy's new owner took him to the vet this morning to have his stitches removed, however, it was decided they should stay in another week because of where they were situated and the number involved.
28th November 2006
Paddy visited us today with his new owner so we could complete the adoption forms and he could say hello again to Bobby and Indi. He came in, made himself at home and crashed out on the settee looking totally happy and content with life. His new owner is putting him through his paces training wise because she's teaching him to walk 'close' to heal, practicing agility round a set of stone bollards near her home and attending weekly training classes to help his training and socialise him with other dogs. He's still on his Valerian tablets and will be until his owner is told otherwise by Kevin. It will take three may be four months for his hormones to settle and with the Valerian and his training during this time we should see a new Paddy. He was at training class last night and Kevin handled him most of the evening at his owner's request so his new owner could see how he handled him so she can emulate him when out with him on her own. Paddy was a little unsure to begin with during the class but gained more confidence as the session progressed. Paddy is obviously very content with his new owner because when it was time to leave he happily jumped up and walked by her side back to the car. We can't tell you how happy we are for Paddy because he's been through a tough time - it's just so wonderful and because he's living not far from us we will no doubt be seeing him again in the future.
2nd December 2006
Paddy's new owner took him to the vet again this morning so Paddy's stitches could be removed. He wasn't too happy about them being taken out and cried out a few times as all 12 were removed, which wasn't surprising to say they'd been in 17 days and were along a very delicate place.
18th December 2006
Paddy's owner phoned today to let us know that when out on his walk this morning he was playing with Tilly the lurcher and another greyhound they met. He met a horse and stood nose to nose with it - thought it was strange but was very good. Two labradors also met him and he allowed one of them to sniff him. Small changes are happening when they meet other dogs and he is now letting her hold his bone when when he's chewing it. He is also beginning to allow her to hug and kiss him without negative growls, if he does she growls back at him, which he doesn't like and she continues doing what she was doing. He will also sit on command, not lie down but actually sit on command and wait for a doggy chocolate drop.
19th December 2006
Paddy had a good walk today and met a number of dogs including another greyhound and lurcher who he's beginning to make friends with and today he wanted to play with them. His owner was so pleased she phoned to share the good news. Paddy is settling in well and his new owners and their family love him to bits. They've found if he's grumbles with them when cuddling him on the floor they grumble and growl back to him then carry on with what they are doing - he looks at them as if to say 'what are you doing?' then it's over and they are back cuddling again - it's almost as if he's not sure what's happening or whether or not he's going to be hurt - one day the penny will drop it's only cuddling and play and he will accept the rough and tumble. His owner can now take his marrow bones from him without so much of a flicker. She achieved this by taking his bone from him and pretending to eat and enjoy it herself before giving it back to him thus enhancing 'leadership'. She was amazed that whilst on the phone telling me this her daughter was on his bed with him holding his bone so he could lick the marrow out easier - think it took her a bit by surprise, and a nice one at that. To say he was cat friendly and lived with cats in his earlier homes it's taking a bit longer to get him to accept their cat, maybe it's because of the two incidences with the small dogs in between. However, they are now at the stage where he sleeps in his bed with muzzle on whilst their cat is sleeping on their lap on the settee. She's even beginning to walk across the living room floor and he is beginning to accept this but they feel they must supervise and carefully monitor the situation and it will be like this for some time to come.
21st December 2006
Paddy's owner phoned to say yesterday he was a nightmare out on his walk when he saw other dogs but then I think if he met one he wasn't sure of it probably affected the way he was with others afterwards. However, today he was superb. Met his greyhound and lurcher friends again, and again he wanted to play. This time a number of other dogs approached and Paddy accepted them close to him. His owner said he kept looking at her then at the greyhound and lurcher whilst the other dogs were around almost as if looking to them for guidance. With Paddy it's three steps forward and one back but he's certainly moving in the right direction.
29th December 2006
We called in this afternoon to do Paddy's follow-up visit and what a lovely surprise to see him so relaxed and laid back in his new home. He gave us a lovely welcome when we arrived and because Stuart took a while to sit down he decided he couldn't wait and jumped up to say hello to him, which surprised his owners as he's never done it with them. He's made friends with three or four greyhounds and lurchers in the area and wants to play with them when he sees them. He's getting on much better with other dogs and wants to meet them and play, however, it's only been a month and a half since his operation, he's still on the valerian and it would be a shame to risk doing something that would set him back so he still wears his muzzle when out and about and will do so for some time. His owners had people staying the past three days and they brought their terrier bitch with them. Paddy had his muzzle on for the first half hour or so when they were introduced, the terrier kept growling at him every time he got near but after a while it was decided Paddy just wanted to play so off came the muzzle. They were together for three days. The terrier is known to be growly and was so with him for almost two days but by the end she accepted he just wanted to play and allowed him to sniff her. The experience will have done him the world of good!
Paddy is accepting their cat being in the living room much better, he still has his muzzle on but they feel if he got the chance he may have her. He's getting better though but it's a slow process. He's very good being left on his own and gives his owners a lovely greeting each time they return so much so they are teaching him the word 'back' so he backs away from the front door to allow them in as the hall is too small and he blocks people coming in with his eagerness to greet them. The living room has recently been carpeted and the furniture repositioned making the room more Paddy friendly - when the carpet layer left and he went in for the first time he apparently did twirls and went mad (without skidding) for a few minutes as he was so happy.
His owner's are very pleased with his training and are taking him back to classes again when they re-open in the new year. They showed us how he comes to 'close' and sitting to command using her tub of doggy choc drops. A lump formed in my throat when I saw him look up at his owner as he sat because it was a look of sheer devotion and his owner was so obviously proud of him. The bond between the two of them is strong and we came away feeling so proud of Paddy and so thankful to his new family for their love and commitment towards him.
1st January 2007
Received a very upsetting phone call this lunch time saying Paddy had broken his leg this morning whilst out on his walk - why Paddy after all he's been through!
They were out for a local walk and coming down the path on the hillside, which was very wet and muddy. Paddy had seen some people at the bottom and wanted to go down the path to meet them much faster than his owner could. She slipped in the mud and was sliding down the path. Whether Paddy realised she had fallen or not we are not sure as it happened all so quickly - he just kept going so she had to let go of his lead, realising he could come to no harm because he was muzzled and he set of down the path at a run once he realised he could. He moved off the path out of the mud into the grass and bracken by the side when his foot became tangled and he fell with a scream. They realised his front left leg was broken just above the wrist as soon as they saw him by the way it was hanging. They slowly began to move him down the hill by supporting his chest and hadn't got far when a gentleman arrived to offer his help. He had been flying a kite with his wife and their dogs when he heard the scream and came to see what had happened. It turned out he was a weight lifter and put Paddy round his shoulders and walked down the hill carrying him. One of his owner's ran back home to ring the vet and get the car. He arrived with it just as they got to the bottom of the hill.
The vet wrapped the leg in mounds of padding and bandage to support it and gave him morphine to ease the pain and to stabalise the adrenalin and reduce the shock that would set in. The Orthopedic Surgeon is going to put screws either side of the break and plate his leg first thing tomorrow once his body has stabilised so as to reduce risks whilst under the anesthetic.
I phoned this evening to find he's lain on his bed all day being cuddled by his owners, when he needed to go out they used a towel as a support for his chest so he didn't have to put his foot down. The morphine had made him dozy and he's seemed out of it most of the day but he was beginning to lift his head and look around now. The vet said he wouldn't want to eat anything tonight. His owner is going to sleep downstairs with him tonight so she can be with him. She fell in love with Paddy the very first time she saw him and she is dreading tomorrow.
2nd January 2007
I woke three times in the night thinking of Paddy and this morning had an awful sensation in my stomach. I don't know why and I had to fight against it, putting it down to me not being there with him.
At 1.15pm we received a call saying Paddy had died. He was on the operating table, his leg had been pinned and plated and they had almost finished his two hour operation when he had a heart attack and passed away. We were stunned, not Paddy, surely not Paddy, I'm not hearing this correctly, not Paddy, no not after all he's been through and not now that he's found his forever home and doing so well.
It's been an awful day since we heard of Paddy's death and Stuart, Paddy's family and I are devastated because we all loved him so much - he was the last one to deserve this.
Received a call from Paddy's owners this evening saying the vets are very concerned and stunned at what happened because he was such a young, strong dog that he shouldn't have died so they asked if they could to do a full post-mortem to find out what caused it so as to reduce the risk of it happening to another. Paddy is to be cremated and the vet said they would let his owner's know the results of the post-mortem once they have all the information.

I'm so glad we visited last Friday and saw him looking so happy - watching him showing off as he was going through his 'close' and 'sit' routine with his owner and seeing the look in both their eyes as they looked at each other will be a vision I will cherish forever.

22nd January 2007
Received a call from Paddy's owner this evening to let us know how Troy (now called Asher) is getting on as they adopted him shortly after Paddy's death. He will never replace Paddy and it's taking his owner some time to get over what happened but knowing Troy as we do we know he will help them over their loss.
The vet had been in touch today and despite a full and lengthy post-mortem they could find nothing that could have caused his death. Paddy was a fit, strong, healthy dog so they are at a loss as to why it happened. I remember Kevin from the training classes saying during his assesment of Paddy that he thought he had a fairly low pain threshold so perhaps it was the shock and traumer that caused his heart attack - we will never know.

In loving memory of Paddy
May the angels be with you forever my precious darling
Gone but not forgotten.
by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)

© 2004 - 2017 Jenny Stott