Beech Hill House
Beech Hill House B&B
Cumbria LA11 6RH

Dogs welcome, large or small, one or more. A Greyhound haven!

The voluntary work Jenny and Stuart started in July 2004 is a memorial to their darling Penny. Without her coming into their lives none of this would have happened.

Please ring for an appointment to come and see the greyhounds and have a chat. You are most welcome, but as we run a bed and breakfast it is essential you ring and arrange a date and time to visit.
T: 015395 52394

email us


When adopting a greyhound the suggested donation is £150.00 which goes towards neutering, inoculations, upkeep etc. Some people give a little less, while
others want to give more. We are quite flexible with this, and with this we provide:
Martingale Collar, Lead, Muzzle and 4 weeks free cover with the insurance company PetPlan

List of Greyhounds by the date they were homed with links to their diary pages
¦ 2018 ¦ 2017 ¦ 2016 ¦ 2015 ¦ 2014 ¦ 2013 ¦ 2012 ¦ 2011 ¦ 2010 ¦ 2009 ¦ 2008 ¦ 2007 ¦ 2006 ¦ 2005 ¦ 2004 ¦



Become a friend and view Our Profile to see what's happening at the branch and to follow some of our ex-foster greyhounds.

Fosterers are a valuable part of greyhound rescue in that another greyhound is living life away from the kennels and taking the first steps towards getting used to the family way of life. If you live in the South Lakes or the surrounding area and would like to foster a greyhound until we can find him or her a new home.
please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information

Would you like to become a registered volunteer and walk a Greyhound?
Volunteers offering to take a Greyhound for a walk, an afternoon out or a stop-over play a very important role here at the branch.
please contact Jenny or Stuart T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information and to see how you can help.

for those in our care until we find them new homes.
(also pilchards in tomato sauce, sardines and tuna in oil, dog biscuits, Dentastix)

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us

which is what we use for the greyhounds in our care until we find them new homes.

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please deliver to:
Beech Hill House, Witherslack, Cumbria LA11 6RH

Become a VIP member and nominate Greyhound Trust South Lakes as your chosen charity.
If you nominate our branch as your charity the 'lifelines' you collect each time you make a purchase either in store or on-line will go to our branch.
Each quarter we receive a voucher to the value of the lifelines nominated to our branch which we can spend at the Kendal (Cumbria) Pets at Home store on items needed for the dogs in our care while looking for new homes. Thank you.

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)


Below is one of the 82 dogs we fostered for Dumfriesshire & Cumbria
Greyhound Rescue between July 2004 and the 5th December 2009.
On the 9th December 2009 we became the SOUTH LAKES branch
of the Retired Greyhound Trust for whom we are now foster

Plum (Laila)
Arrived with us on Sunday 2nd July 2006
Went to her new home on Tuesday 25th July 2006
Her Arrival and History
Plum is a smokey brindle greyhound
Plum is Lester's litter sister so was born on the 20th March 2004. She is a smokey brindle who weighs 79lbs (35.95k). She was last in season in December 2005, is kennel clean, travels well in the car, walks nicely on the lead, nibbles your fingers, gives you a lick when she is pleased to see you and has a kind, playful and friendly nature.
Plum has come to us because, and I hope it's not tempting fate, but Lester has a potential new home on Jersey and his potential new owners wanted a companion for him and thought one of his three sisters might be nice. They want to change Plum's name to Laila so when she arrives we will start calling her that to help her get used to it for when her potential new owner's visit in the middle of July.
Laila's Diary

2nd July 2006
Plum arrived this morning with her owner and his wife and upon entering the garden she was greeted by all the dogs including her brother Lester who gave her an inspection and, from the expression on his face he seemed to remembered who she was. We sat in the garden chatting for a while but it was very hot and Plum went to lay in the shade by the coal shed. The conservatory door remained open all day and Laila, as we are now going to call her, walked in an out as and when she wanted with the others and was quite happy wandering round the garden.
She seems a very happy, friendly dog who isn't shy and loves to give you a lick. She wasn't too sure of the stairs at first and found going up a lot easier than coming down but with a helping hand for a few times she soon got the knack. We had one accident upstairs late afternoon but that may have been because of her anxiety of going downstairs. We've started calling her Laila to get her used to her new name and this evening when we took the dogs for a walk we noticed Lester and Laila walking side by side on a number of occasions. When we arrived back Laila tried getting Lester and the other dogs to play with her in the garden and whilst doing this we noticed a couple of times Lester giving her a little lick.
She wasn't shy in making herself at home and a short time after Stuart sat down for the evening she climbed on the large settee and settled there for the night. She was fascinated with the television and spent most of the evening watching it or laying her head on the arm of the settee dozing - she looked very pretty sitting there and totally at home! At first she lay full length along the settee and never objected when we shoved her to one end to allow another dog to lay next to her. When Lester walked in to the living room and saw her on the settee his face was a picture for she was laying in Bobby's space and he has only plucked up the courage once to get on the settee where he lay for a few minutes before climbing off again.
When it was time to let her out last thing she stayed outside with Lester a lot longer than the others but no matter how we tried she wouldn't do anything and they both walked in and went to their beds so we hope there will be no accidents.
When Laila was a pup she apparently hurt her tail and since that day its had a curl at the end, which is quite sweet. You can tell Lester and Laila are brother and sister for they have the same colour eyes and her ears fall forward in the 'Lester fashion' when she walks along.
3rd July 2006
When it came to going to bed last night Laila stayed in Stuart's office until he came to bed then we settled her to one of the beds in our room. At first she wasn't too sure and kept trying to come to us but a couple of squirts of cold water in the face soon made her realise it was better to lay down and go to sleep, which she did all night until we let them all out this morning and thankfully with no accidents.
When we fed her this morning she ate her food nicely but didn't eat it all, which may be a little bit of nerves still. It's been very hot today so we never went for our mid day walk and Laila spent most of the time trying to cool down in my office where she also enjoyed looking out of the window watching the traffic passing by. By mid afternoon she had mastered the stairs and running up and down with the others as if she'd been doing it all her life.
4th July 2006
This morning Laila visited the vet where she was weighed in at 79lbs (35.95k) and was spayed. When she arrived she was unsure and nervous, not wanting to go in and trying to get back to the car. It was probably only the second building she's been in since leaving her kennels and wondered what on earth was happening to her. When Stuart called in the afternoon to pick her up she wouldn't come out of the kennel for the nurses and Stuart had to go in for her. When she saw him she came out straight away wagging her tail. As we didn't want her going upstairs until bed time we put her bed in the hall next to the conservatory where she's been laying during the day because of the heat. It was much cooler there and she happily lay there and slept most of the rest of the day. We also placed a fan on the table so as to move the air around for her to make her feel more comfortable. She was very quiet all evening, ate a little scrambled egg and when it came to bed time Stuart carried her upstairs where she soon settled.
5th July 2006
Laila came downstairs on her own this morning and has been much more her normal self today. She never ate all her breakfast but at least she ate the bit with her Metacam on it, which will help to reduce any pain. She came out for a walk with the others this lunch time and most of the afternoon she slept in the garden either out in the sun or laying in the shade under one of the bushes. House training is going well for apart from the accident that first afternoon when she wouldn't walk down the stairs we've had nothing.
8th July 2006
Laila loves laying in the garden watching the world go by and this

Laila shortly after she arrived
Laila shortly after she arrived
2nd July 2006

Laila exploring the garden
Exploring the garden
2nd July 2006

Laila with Jet
. . and with Jet
2nd July 2006

Laila relaxing on her first evening
Laila relaxing on her first evening
2nd July 2006

Laila in the garden
In the garden on the 24th July
The day before Laila went to her
new home on Jersey with her
litter brother, Lester

Laila with Stuart on the 25th July 2006
Saying goodbye to Stuart
on the 25th July 2006
morning when Stuart let them all out first thing she wouldn't come in again so he left the door open and came back to bed for another hour. When we got up we found her still laying in the garden enjoying the early morning sunshine. She visited the vet this morning for her 5 day check up and we are pleased everything is going well and her wound is healing nicely. She wasn't too happy about going in there and tried to pull away as we walked through the door but she soon relaxed once she realised he wasn't going to do anything to her other than have a look. She still isn't eating her full portion of food and tends to pick at it once about half has gone. I remember when Lester first arrived we had a job to get him to eat all his food at the beginning so not eating everything may be the change of environment as it effected him. Although she's not eating a full portion of food she looks well and she devours her daily pig's ear, which she usually eats on the lawn. This afternoon when we took them all for a walk we put Lester and Laila on the double chain until we reached the point where we let Bobby and Indi off the lead then we separated them so they could have a lead each to wander along separately. When we came back and all the dogs were put on the lead again to walk down the main road we put Lester and Laila back on the double chain - to say it was the first time they walked nicely together side by side all the way back.
10th July 2006
I was in the garden hanging washing this morning, picked up a towel to shake before hanging it on the line and startled Laila causing her to dash to the top of the garden. When she stopped she stood with her back foot off the ground so being startled she caught herself on the wall next to the steps as she ran past. She hadn't cried out but when I examined her foot and leg found she'd 'nicked' herself on the knee joint. It was only a small nick so we bathed it and after a few minutes it stopped bleeding. However, because of the location it opened up again every time she bent her knee.
11th July 2006
Laila's leg looks a lot better today and is beginning to heal nicely.
14th July 2006
Took Laila to the vet this morning who removed her stitches saying things had healed nicely. This evening we took Jet to his new home and because of the heat and number of dogs at present we decided to take Kane with us as he was the new arrival and left the rest at home. We arrived home to find a severe protest had taken place. Not sure who the culprits were but can't see Bobby and Indi doing it, well definitely not Bobby so it may have been Indi, Lester or Laila. Rubbish had been taken from the waste paper bin in the office and chewed up all over the floor and along the landing. Two pieces of paper had been taken off my desk and chewed up (thankfully I can reprint them again), a newspaper had been taken from Stuart's desk and chewed to shreds in our bedroom, the two dogs beds in our bedroom were in a heap so looked as if they had been used as breaking blocks after a race and there was a bitches 'puddle' on our bedroom carpet. As well as the chewing we think there might have been some playing going on as well. Perhaps it was because we went out with some and left some behind. We've had no problems before - but not since Laila has arrived! On our way out we did say 'Jet new home, stay there, back soon, Jet new home' and, as I've said in the past I'm sure Indi and Bobby know what this means and maybe even Lester. Today was the first time we've rehomed a dog but left some at home and I think it may be the last because a dog going certainly upsets those left. Lester got on well with Jet and we know from the experience when he was upset at Jack leaving and Indi climbed into bed with him and cuddled up. As I wasn't sure who did it I grumbled and growled all the time I tidied up and the dogs could tell I wasn't happy as they all went to their beds, keeping their heads down and peeping up at me every now and again as I tidied the area nearest them. Think they got the message I wasn't happy.
15th July 2006
It was such a hot day today that we gave the midday walk a miss and did it in the evening when it was cooler. We found Laila laying in the garden on numerous occasions during the day either out in the sun or laying in the shade of one of the bushes. Whilst watching television this evening we kept the conservatory door open because of the heat and all the dogs joined us in the living room. Occasionally one would walk out then back in again and on one of these occasions we heard a noise in the kitchen so called Laila back in. She came walking in with one of the phones in her mouth that had been on the kitchen table. When we went to let them out last thing I spotted my best sewing scissors also missing from the table and following a hunt found them in the middle of the lawn! Just prior to all this happening Kane had been sleeping on the settee and growled at Laila when she came up to say hello to Stuart, needless to say Kane was reprimanded as it's not something that is allowed in our house, but the incident may have upset Laila causing her to take the items because its something she hasn't done before.
16th July 2006
Kane is a bit of a monkey, loves attention, trying to assert his authority over the one he thinks he can do it to (Laila) and not realised yet that its something that isn't allowed in this house. This afternoon he was laying next to Stuart by his desk when Laila walked in to say hello and he growled at her. Kane was reprimanded but poor Laila turned around and left because he'd growled and perhaps she thought she was being told off as well, bless her. We brought her straight back and Stuart made a big fuss of her whilst ignoring Kane to show he had done wrong but she hadn't.
This afternoon just before their teatime we found an empty cardboard box on the lawn along with the cardboard cling film wrapper, a table mat and the free CD from the Sunday paper. All these had been on the kitchen or conservatory tables and although we hadn't seen who did it we think it may have been Laila. This was confirmed by catching her trying to drag a black bin liner bag of rubbish from the kitchen into the garden! Perhaps Kane's arrival has unsettled her or perhaps it was Jet leaving, or both. However, something has certainly happened in the past couple of days or so to unsettle her, which shows how sensitive she is. Either that, or she's coming out of her shell!
17th July 2006
Kane and Laila are much happier today and whatever their difference of the past couple of days it seems it may now be settled. Laila's new owners arrived this evening from Jersey and rather than going straight to the inn where they are staying for half their visit they called in to see Lester and Laila, took them for a walk with us and stayed an hour or so to introduce themselves. Laila was a little quiet and shy - perhaps she's reading Lester's body language as he was doing his usual by hiding on his bed upstairs and not wanting to come down.
18th July 2006
It was very hot today so Lester and Laila's new owners spent the morning in our house getting to know them. Laila was still a little unsure of coming to them in the house at times so we thought we would take a drive and go for a walk along the edge of Coniston Lake in the afternoon where we knew there was plenty of shade and a walk is always a good way for everyone to get to know each other. Lester and Laila went in their new owner's car so as to get used to it and on this occasion I joined them and Stuart followed in our car with our dogs. Had a lovely walk in the shade then sat for a while under the trees, which helped Lester and Laila to get to know their new owners. Called into a pub on the way back and had a drink in the garden, which was a new experience for Laila and although she was a little unsettled to begin with she soon began to relax. Stopped at the inn where Laila's new owners are staying and had a meal before coming back home. Laila wasn't too sure at all about going inside the pub and tried pulling her head out of her collar but with a little coaxing she came in and after she saw the other dogs not bothering she began to settle a bit.
19th July 2006
Lester and Laila went in their new owner's car again this morning so they could buy some name tags for their new collars and to see how they got on together being left in the new car on their own in the multi-storey car park. We feel the more time they spend together the easier it will be for the two of them to settle into their new home on Jersey with their new owners. Laila has gone a little shy the past couple of days but that may be because Lester has lost his confidence and gone back a step whilst his new owners are around. However, with patience and perserverence they will win his confidence and in doing so Laila will settle and come back out of her shell and help Lester move forward again. Upon returning from the shopping trip a photographer from the Westmorland Gazette arrived to take pictures of everyone to go with an article about us, which is appearing in the paper on Friday. After he left I prepared Lester and Laila's tea to go with them and they went with their new owners for a drive to meet some friends near Barnard Castle, have a meal and come back. They left around 4pm and arrived back around 10pm. No major mishaps - Laila loved watching all the rabbits at one place and it was decided she certainly wasn't rabbit friendly, but Lester couldn't care less! He wouldn't touch his tea and consequently Laila ate very little of hers. This we expected because it was new people feeding them in a new environment and we have seen it before with them so upon returning we put their dishes on the lawn and went inside leaving them on their own and within a few minutes both dishes were empty - they 'were back home' !
20th July 2006
This morning Lester and Laila spent the morning with their new owners who did some shopping for them, which included a fan to keep them cool in the back of their car and afterwards they took them for a walk. This afternoon we took them both to the vet to be microchipped and have their rabbis injection. Laila weighed in at 76.1lbs (34.55k) and didn't like being microchipped for it made her yelp and pull back slightly causing it to bleed a little, which Lester upon arriving home licked for her. The rest of the afternoon they rested for it was very hot and we wanted to give them time to recover from the visit to the vet. After their evening walk we went to the pub for a drink but Laila wasn't too keen on going in because she is still getting used to entering strange buildings. However, when she saw Lester and the others going in she followed and stood near him watching the people in the pub stroking the others. It was funny the way she stood watching a man stroke Indi who was laying on the floor and who couldn't care less about him being there. Laila stood there intently watching and taking it all in.
21st July 2006
Laila's new owners went shopping this morning but we felt it best if Lester and Laila stay here to spend a peaceful morning with us because Lester was a little off colour following his injections yesterday and it would give them a chance to just 'chill out' before going out again in the afternoon.

24th July 2006
Over the past few days Lester and Laila have spent more and more time with their new owners so they can get to know them as much as possible before going back to Jersey. Its been a funny few days for us because we've not seen alot of them and we've had to stand back to allow the bonding to take place. We are pleased Kane is here because the place seems so quiet with two less dogs.

Don't know why but the past couple of days we've had a couple of accidents from Laila in the house and she's
started chewing things again. It may be she's feeling a little unsettled because a lot has happened to her over the past three weeks and all this week she's been getting used to her new owners as well as being with us. Also, she may be able to sense the atmosphere that we've been trying to disguise as the day they are leaving us approaches.
25th July 2006
The big day has finally arrived and I awoke with a lump in my throat and a heavy feeling in my stomach. Lester and Laila slept part of last night in our room and I gave them both a big hug and cuddle before we went downstairs. I think they could tell something was different and I'm sure they knew both Stuart and I were very, very sad. We kept our chins up for Lester and Laila as we waived goodbye when they drove off at 6.45am. I know they are going to a good home but I grieved for them all day, broke down in tears frequently, clock watched, wondering where they were, what they were doing and if they were okay. Friends phoned to see how we were for they knew it was going to be a hard day and I found I couldn't talk about it. Laila's new owners texted us at 12.30pm to say they had reached Poole in Dorset, neither dogs had eaten and they were going to take them for walks until it was time to board the ferry, which was leaving at 4.00pm. Received a phone call this evening at 9.00pm to say they had all arrived in Jersey and Lester and Laila were wandering around their new home and garden having a good look around. We are so pleased Laila will be living with her brother whom she was kennelled with at her original owner's place and we hope they both have a long and happy life together.

26th July 2006
Received an email from Lester and Laila's new owners this evening saying they all had a quiet night until Lester
woke them by jangling the door keys asking to go out for a wee at about 6.20am. They both settled down again then Laila ate a little breakfast but Lester just sniffed at his. Late morning they went for a good walk but its been hot and thundery today so they just crashed out all afternoon. Both ate their dinners and have been for a thirty minute walk tonight.
28th July 2006
Received a call this evening from Lester and Laila's new owners who are thrilled at the way they are both settling in. They've been for walks along the beach and another favourite walk is around the reservoir which in the warm weather is partially shaded by trees. They've both been to see their vet so he could meet and examine them both without doing anything else to them. Laila is still taking the odd thing into the garden but has only done it once so far - she took her owner's glasses onto the lawn but thankfully they were in their case and she was spotted before she could do anything.
Long Legged Beauties
'Just Greyhounds'
2007 Calendar
Laila and Lester
This picture of Laila and Lester was taken
on the 23rd July 2006 is the front cover of the calendar
View Calendar

Long Legged Beauties
'Just Greyhounds'
2007 Calendar
This picture of Laila was taken
on the 23rd July 2006 and is the April supporting shot in the calendar.

View Calendar

Click HERE to visit Lester's diary and see how Laila and Lester are getting on in their new home on Jersey
by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)

© 2004 - 2017 Jenny Stott