Beech Hill House
Beech Hill House B&B
Cumbria LA11 6RH

Dogs welcome, large or small, one or more. A Greyhound haven!

The voluntary work Jenny and Stuart started in July 2004 is a memorial to their darling Penny. Without her coming into their lives none of this would have happened.

Please ring for an appointment to come and see the greyhounds and have a chat. You are most welcome, but as we run a bed and breakfast it is essential you ring and arrange a date and time to visit.
T: 015395 52394

email us


When adopting a greyhound the suggested donation is £150.00 which goes towards neutering, inoculations, upkeep etc. Some people give a little less, while
others want to give more. We are quite flexible with this, and with this we provide:
Martingale Collar, Lead, Muzzle and 4 weeks free cover with the insurance company PetPlan

List of Greyhounds by the date they were homed with links to their diary pages
¦ 2018 ¦ 2017 ¦ 2016 ¦ 2015 ¦ 2014 ¦ 2013 ¦ 2012 ¦ 2011 ¦ 2010 ¦ 2009 ¦ 2008 ¦ 2007 ¦ 2006 ¦ 2005 ¦ 2004 ¦



Become a friend and view Our Profile to see what's happening at the branch and to follow some of our ex-foster greyhounds.

Fosterers are a valuable part of greyhound rescue in that another greyhound is living life away from the kennels and taking the first steps towards getting used to the family way of life. If you live in the South Lakes or the surrounding area and would like to foster a greyhound until we can find him or her a new home.
please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information

Would you like to become a registered volunteer and walk a Greyhound?
Volunteers offering to take a Greyhound for a walk, an afternoon out or a stop-over play a very important role here at the branch.
please contact Jenny or Stuart T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information and to see how you can help.

for those in our care until we find them new homes.
(also pilchards in tomato sauce, sardines and tuna in oil, dog biscuits, Dentastix)

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us

which is what we use for the greyhounds in our care until we find them new homes.

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please deliver to:
Beech Hill House, Witherslack, Cumbria LA11 6RH

Become a VIP member and nominate Greyhound Trust South Lakes as your chosen charity.
If you nominate our branch as your charity the 'lifelines' you collect each time you make a purchase either in store or on-line will go to our branch.
Each quarter we receive a voucher to the value of the lifelines nominated to our branch which we can spend at the Kendal (Cumbria) Pets at Home store on items needed for the dogs in our care while looking for new homes. Thank you.

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)


Below is one of the 82 dogs we fostered for Dumfriesshire & Cumbria
Greyhound Rescue between July 2004 and the 5th December 2009.
On the 9th December 2009 we became the SOUTH LAKES branch
of the Retired Greyhound Trust for whom we are now foster



Bloss a
rrived on Tuesday 24th July 2007
Went to her new home on Sunday 12th August 2007
Sadly Bloss died on Monday 30th January 2012 from Lhmphoma
(Aged: 9 years, 4 months and 20 days old)

Bloss's arrival and a brief history
Brindle Greyhound
Bloss is a pretty dark brindle Greyhound who was born on the 10th September 2002 making almost 5 years old. She weighs 62lbs (28.2k), is house trained, inoculated, microchipped and due to be spayed shortly. Bloss is a very friendly, affectionate girl who gets on with children, likes to play, walks nicely on the lead, travels well in the car but is not cat friendly, and we haven't really had the chance to test her with other dogs just yet.

Went to her new home on Sunday 12th August 2007
Bloss's Diary
24th July 2007
This morning we collected Bloss from one of the Dumfriesshire and Cumbria Greyhound Rescue members who brought her to us from kennels. She happily jumped in our car and lay down in the back all the way home. When she met the others there was a bit of a grumble from her at first as they all fussed around but then some bitches do this and Pudsey, who doesn't greet anyone gently was probably a little bit too overpowering for her.
Bloss has a couple of scars on her body - one on her side, which is a triangular shape and the other is quite a long scar down the other side but it's an old scar and doesn't seem to bother her. Stairs are no problem, neither are wooden floors but the first time we took her out for a walk she pulled quite heavily on the lead to begin with. After a while she settled so it may be nerves or simply a new place to walk with lots of new things to see and smells to sniff.
25th July 2007
Bloss has been no problem whatsoever and we've had no accidents in the house, which is just as well because Thunder has been a bit of a pain since he arrived because he's missing his owners. Bloss is a lovely friendly girl who likes to play with Pudsey and Thunder and barks at them to play more if they stop too soon. She seems very relaxed and made one of the dog beds in our bedroom her own. She's beginning to realise that when Pudsey and Thunder follow me downstairs and I call her name she follows as it means its to go in the garden to do what is necessary or to be given something - she's learning very quickly.
26th July 2007
Bloss is a very happy girl who is always wagging her tail but
Brindle Greyhound
1st August 2007

Brindle Greyhound
. . . . and again.

when she first arrived she was sometimes wary. When we wanted to stoke her or give her a kiss or cuddle near her face but now she's realised it's nothing to worry about and she is much more relaxed when we are around her.
28th July 2007
Bloss is fine when we visit the pub and takes it in her stride. She says hello to people as they come in then lays on the floor and goes to sleep.
29th July 2007
Bloss spent most of the day pottering around the garden in the sunshine as we were tidying it of overgrown shrubs that weren't cut back last autumn when I hurt myself. When Stuart turned after cutting a dead tree down he did a second take because he'd thought he'd seen a ghost - Bloss was sitting on the decking watching him just like Penny used to. She had the look of Penny to a 'T' and when I saw her my heart missed a beat. Of all the bitches we've fostered so far none have had that Penny look or her mannerisms. We knew it would happen sooner or later and to make things worse she did it again in the evening. We've had her five days now so don't understand why we've only just noticed it - maybe because at the beginning we had Thunder staying with us as well. Anyway, this evening she lay on the carpet staring at me for ages with her front right leg curled underneath her body out of sight just the way Penny did then she climbed on the settee next to Bobby and curled up next to him. Bobby never batted an eyelid and when we thought about it we realised that not once has Bobby shown any aggression or authority to her since she arrived. It's almost as if she's been here ages not just a few days.
30th July 2007
Bloss has decided our bed is a good place to lay because she's often there in the sun during the day. She even climbed on the bed this morning to say hello so she isn't shy in coming forward.
1st August 2007
Went out for the day today so we could take some pictures for the Greyhound calendar. This shoot was with a horse and we managed to get some quite nice pictures of Bloss as she showed no concern for the horse whatsoever, in fact at one stage she was nose to nose with it.
2nd August 2007
Bloss now regularly comes to see me in bed first thing in the morning so when Stuart gets out I end up with Bloss and Pudsey joining me for my extra half hour lay in. She also likes to join me on the bed last thing at night for a while which is nice.
6th August 2007
We've noticed when Bloss sees another dog she tends to pull towards it. Although she's generally wagging her tail from her body language we are not quite sure if she knows what another dog is, or if she does, does she want to say hello, or does she want to get it, which is a bit disturbing so we are going to get her amongst other dogs to watch her properly. Having said that, if we squirt her with the water spray and tell her to 'leave' she does, so she obviously dislikes the water spray more than her keenness to see other dogs which is a good start.
8th August 2007
This afternoon we visited a local park and with her 'DCGR Foster Dog in Training' coat on and muzzle to hand we took a stroll asking anyone with a dog if we could introduce Bloss to them. Having put her muzzle on we then introduced them. If the dog was bouncy she tended to want to get it but a squirt of water and the word 'leave' was enough to make her stand still and either watch or ignore it and her body language was more relaxed. So long as she knew I had the water spray ready to tell her to 'leave' she was was okay in their company and even going to sniff them. This is a very good sign that in time and with more socialisation she will be fine with other dogs because if she hated them the water spray wouldn't have stopped her and if it did her body language would have been different. In any case our visit to Dalston Show in a couple of days will be good for her.
11th August 2007
This morning we drove to Dalston Show where Dumfriesshire and Greyhound Rescue had a stall. Whilst there we wanted to mingle Bloss with as many other dogs as possible so with her 'DCGR Foster Dog in Training' coat on along with a soft nylon muzzle we walked her round the showground asking people if we could introduce her to their dogs to see how she was with them. She made a couple of lunges at first but with a firm leave and a quick squirt of water she settled down and as the afternoon wore on she was more concerned about not being sprayed than the other dogs coming close. All in all, it was a very positive day and we feel that continuing to wear a soft muzzle whilst out walking along with using the water spray and 'leave' Bloss's new owner will soon have her socialised with other dogs.
12th August 2007
This morning we took Bloss to her new home where she will be living with a lady in the Ambleside area. When we arrived we all took Bloss for a walk around the gardens to do what was necessary then she happily walked inside her new home with her new owner, had a good look round then settled on her bed whilst we did the paper work. We shall miss Bloss but we wish her a long and happy life in her new home.
15th August 2007
Received a call from Bloss's new owner letting us know she is settling in. She pulled a bit on the lead for the first day whilst out walking but since then she hasn't pulled at all and has been very good. Bloss goes out with her new soft muzzle so she can safely be near other dogs and we've suggested her new owner sits in the park so Bloss can watch the other dogs playing so she can see they won't harm her. If any come close to let her see them but to use 'Leave' and the water spray if necessary.
22nd August 2007
This morning Bloss's new owner took her to the vet to be spayed and she phoned this evening to say she was home again, a bit groggy and just wanted her bed.
28th August 2007
Received a call this evening from Bloss's new owner to say Bloss wasn't very well and was back in the vets. Last Saturday morning Bloss went to the vet for her routine three day check up and all was well. There was no swelling and it was beginning to heal but the vet noticed one of her nipples looked a bit sore so she rubbed some cream on to settle it - thought it may have been caused when they shaved the area to operate. During Sunday Bloss seemed a bit off colour and around 7pm she started leaking pink fluid from the stitched area. Her owner bathed the area with salt water and during the night woke every couple of hours to keep an eye on her. Since her operation she'd been wearing a muzzle and was unable to lick the stitches so her owner knew the problem wasn't being caused by her licking or trying to get the stitches out. When her owner awoke at 5am she found Bloss laying in a pool of blood type fluid that soaked into her bedding. Bloss was taken straight to the vet, it was Bank Holiday Monday and Bloss was thoroughly examined. No stitches had come out but what looked like an abscess had burst causing a hole to appear close to the wound site. The hole couldn't be stitched because it had to be deep cleaned daily to remove any mucus and allow the area to drain properly. The vet decided to keep Bloss in so he could monitor her as he couldn't understand what had happened as all was so well on Saturday. I felt awful because I took Indi to the vets this afternoon and no one mentioned Bloss was there - had I known I would have visited her.
In conversation with the vet he wondered if we'd had Bloss spayed at the wrong time but as we explained to him 95% of the bitches that arrive into Greyhound Rescue we have no idea when they were last in season and are just spayed as soon as they arrive with no problems. Bloss was one of the 5% because we knew her season dates so she wasn't spayed when she first arrived because she was just finishing her season so we had her spayed at this time to allow 3 full months to pass before getting her done. Rather than her staying with us till she'd been spayed her new owner wanted to adopt her knowing she was going to our vet for the operation because the costs were going on the Dumfriesshire and Cumbria Greyhound Rescue account. As a result of this we phoned the vet to see how Bloss was so we could inform the Homing Co-ordinator accordingly.
29th August 2007
This morning the vet phoned again to let us know that Bloss was in no danger, eating well and they were taking her for regular short walks. She was being very good but they wanted to keep her in till at least the weekend may be a little longer so they could daily deep clean the area caused by the abscess and monitor the situation. She was on Metacam along with antibiotics both oral and by inoculation as they didn't want the infection moving to her stomach as that would have been serious for Bloss and put her at risk. The vet was looking for granulation tissue to form in the area indicating it was beginning to heal before letting her home again. Once this started contracture of the wound would commence and in time it would self heal and close the hole. I explained that we had to go away on business tomorrow for a few days and could they phone us if there were any problems, which they said they would.
3rd September 2007
We arrived back this evening and I must admit I'd been on 'pins' all the time as I'd not been able to go and see Bloss and hoped that because we'd not heard from the vet or Bloss's new owner that all was well and she'd gone home at the weekend. I was really quite shocked to receive a call from Bloss's owner this evening letting us know she was still in the vets. There was hope of her coming home at the weekend but the vet wanted to keep her in and review the situation again today. They'd taken her stitches out from her spaying operation over the weekend as that area had healed well. Bloss being in the vets so long has been a very distressing time for everyone but thankfully her new owner and her daughter have been calling to visit her most days and take her for short walks in the park opposite the vets - just wish we hadn't had to be away - it couldn't have come at a worst time.
Bloss went under the anaesthetic again this morning because the vet decided to stitch up the hole now that it was showing signs of healing rather than allowing it to self heal as at first thought. If all goes well there is hope she will be home tomorrow.
4th September 2007
Received a call from the vet this morning who had just spoken to Bloss's new owner. He was pleased with the way things were going and Bloss was going home this morning but whilst in the vets she'd lost a bit of weight. As he hadn't spoken with me for a few days he explained that at first he thought it was an abscess in the wound area causing the hole to appear next to the suchar line, which they couldn't understand as they are always so careful doing these types of operation. However, talking to the vet who saw her the third day after her operation when Bloss looked so well and reviewing the whole situation they now believe she started a phantom pregnancy four days after her operation. The suspected abscess may not have been an abscess but a pocket of stale milk that had erupted through the skin from either an infected mammary gland after a bit of mastitis when she had her last season that hadn't completely gone away or from her phantom pregnancy, which instead of going to the pocket behind the nipple as normal stayed in the tissue causing the milk to break out. During her stay in the vets they saw some discharge from her other nipples indicating this may have been the case and because Bloss's immune system lowered when she was anaesthetized as often happens it caused her hormone balance to alter thus causing the problems. As a charity we get so many bitches spayed so our obvious concern was for others but the vet assured us it was quite unusual and in all the years as a vet he hadn't come across it before hence the confusion at the beginning until it all fell into place. The operation yesterday was to review the hole when it was decided to stitch it rather than let it self heal. Whilst reviewing her the vet noticed another swelling forming so he inserted a needle and drew off the milk that was beginning to accumulate. They are hoping this is the last one and that her phantom pregnancy is almost over, however, they have asked she come in again at the end of the week for a check up to make doubly sure.
Received a phone call from Bloss's new owner this evening letting us know that thankfully she was home at last. She lay quietly in the car all the way back then as they turned into the drive she was up looking out. Out of the car she literally dragged her owner to the front door and into the house - Bloss was glad to be home again! She's being spoilt rotten, she's a bit thin and eating like a horse, she's having one or two tasty treats to welcome her home and to encourage that weight back on. She got stuck in the bathroom because of her Elizabethan collar but when she spoke with the vet this afternoon as requested he said she could be without it now when being supervised as she'd been wearing one for so long.
7th September 2007
Bloss visited the vet this afternoon who was pleased to see no further swellings were forming indicating her hormones were settling down. He was also pleased to see the progress of her new stitches and wants to see her again when its time for the removal of them.
8th September 2007
We called in this afternoon to see how Bloss was before we went to Ireland and was greeted by a very happy girl. She was so pleased to see us we had to calm her down so she didn't hurt herself. She was a little thin but looked very bright and happy. Inside the house she lay on her bed and simply watched us, occasionally getting up to come for a cuddle, get a treat from her owner then lay on her bed and watch us again. Her owner is keeping her walks quite short at the moment and trying her best not to let Bloss go too giddy but she says it difficult as she's so happy to be home. It turned out she had four stitches on Monday to seal the hole so it was a bit bigger than we thought. We felt so bad about being away when she was in the vets but seeing her today means we can go to Ireland tomorrow assured she's on the mend and we wish her well.
10th September 2007
10th September 2008
10th September 2009
Christmas 2009
We received a Christmas card from Bloss's owner thanking us again for Bloss. She loves her dearly, more each day and we might think it odd, but she is a friend to her owner in everything and gives her so much love, and she says she wouldn't have had her but for us, which was lovely to hear.
10th September 2010

10th September 2011

30th January 2012
This evening we received the sad news that Bloss died today of lymphoma following a very short illness.

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)

© 2004 - 2017 Jenny Stott