Beech Hill House
Beech Hill House B&B
Cumbria LA11 6RH

Dogs welcome, large or small, one or more. A Greyhound haven!

The voluntary work Jenny and Stuart started in July 2004 is a memorial to their darling Penny. Without her coming into their lives none of this would have happened.

Please ring for an appointment to come and see the greyhounds and have a chat. You are most welcome, but as we run a bed and breakfast it is essential you ring and arrange a date and time to visit.
T: 015395 52394

email us


When adopting a greyhound the suggested donation is £150.00 which goes towards neutering, inoculations, upkeep etc. Some people give a little less, while
others want to give more. We are quite flexible with this, and with this we provide:
Martingale Collar, Lead, Muzzle and 4 weeks free cover with the insurance company PetPlan

List of Greyhounds by the date they were homed with links to their diary pages
¦ 2018 ¦ 2017 ¦ 2016 ¦ 2015 ¦ 2014 ¦ 2013 ¦ 2012 ¦ 2011 ¦ 2010 ¦ 2009 ¦ 2008 ¦ 2007 ¦ 2006 ¦ 2005 ¦ 2004 ¦



Become a friend and view Our Profile to see what's happening at the branch and to follow some of our ex-foster greyhounds.

Fosterers are a valuable part of greyhound rescue in that another greyhound is living life away from the kennels and taking the first steps towards getting used to the family way of life. If you live in the South Lakes or the surrounding area and would like to foster a greyhound until we can find him or her a new home.
please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information

Would you like to become a registered volunteer and walk a Greyhound?
Volunteers offering to take a Greyhound for a walk, an afternoon out or a stop-over play a very important role here at the branch.
please contact Jenny or Stuart T: 015395 52394 or email us for more information and to see how you can help.

for those in our care until we find them new homes.
(also pilchards in tomato sauce, sardines and tuna in oil, dog biscuits, Dentastix)

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please contact Jenny or Stuart
T: 015395 52394 or email us

which is what we use for the greyhounds in our care until we find them new homes.

May we thank all who have donated, it's much appreciated.
Please deliver to:
Beech Hill House, Witherslack, Cumbria LA11 6RH

Become a VIP member and nominate Greyhound Trust South Lakes as your chosen charity.
If you nominate our branch as your charity the 'lifelines' you collect each time you make a purchase either in store or on-line will go to our branch.
Each quarter we receive a voucher to the value of the lifelines nominated to our branch which we can spend at the Kendal (Cumbria) Pets at Home store on items needed for the dogs in our care while looking for new homes. Thank you.

by Jenny Stott - - - £10.00 plus p&p
BUY ON-LINE using PayPal or telephone: 015395 52394

(credit & debit cards accepted)

contact us
Greyhound Trust Logo
Registered Charity no: 269668, SCO44047
Fostering and homing greyhounds in the South Lake District, Cumbria

back to HOME page


Swift arrived on Friday 19th February 2010
Went to his new home on Sunday 21st March 2010.
Sadly Swift died on Monday 3rd March 2014
following the diagnosis of a tumour in the back of his throat.

Swift's arrival and a brief history
Click images for a larger view

Black Greyhound
Swift is black ex-racing greyhound who was born on the 1st June 2005. He is very laid back and friendly, walks nicely on the lead, loves meeting people and is okay with other breeds of dogs. Swift weighs 74lbs (33.6k) and is neutered, inoculated and microchipped.

This photograph of Swift was taken in our garden on the 4th March 2010
Swift's Diary
19th February 2010
Swift, which is the name we've given him, arrived direct from a local vet this lunch time. We had an idea he was coming last night, but at the time nothing was certain so it was lovely to see him walking up the front steps with the gentleman from the vets accompanying him.
We walked him round the garden to do his toilet then after we took him inside and introduced him to the other greyhounds. Introductions complete, we gave him some food, which he ate, then I walked him around the garden again to do more toilet and to show him where the boundaries to the garden were.
Swift is a 'whole' dog but an appointment has been made with our vet to have him neutered. He is in a good condition, but arrived with no paperwork so our vet will inoculate him for us and we will microchip him to bring everything up to date. The vet who took him in examined him after she acquired him and mentioned he had a tiny heart murmour. She said it was so slight, almost un-noticable and could be as a result of the circumstances of his arrival. It certainly wouldn't affect him in any way and may even disappear as we've found in the past with other dogs once they've settled and feel happier..
Because I was on my own and hadn't quite finished doing the rooms before the new guests arrived I attached his lead to the hook on the left of the fire place in the kitchen, where there was a dog bed and the water bowl, then got on with my work. At first he just stood there but after a while he lay down and went to sleep. I kept coming down to make sure he was okay and he was fine, no whimpering or pacing - he just slept until I'd finished upstairs and came down to do some office work in the kitchen.
When Stuart arrived back we took them all for a walk, which Swift enjoyed and upon seeing sheep in the field and a Golden Retriever walking down the road in front of us, both of which he ignored. Back from our walk we kept him on the lead in the kitchen until after we'd had our tea because as a 'whole' dog he found Indi irresistable, and likewise poor Dakota! Solo, being a whole dog he ignored, and Sandy growled at him if he came within six inches of him. Poor Indi and Dakota got all his attention as soon as they got anywhere near him so I sat at the kitchen table doing work on my laptop along with the water spray bottle to distract his affections!.
After we'd finished our tea we fed the dogs then walked him round the garden again on the lead before Stuart took him in the living room where he could keep and eye on him. He found the dog bed near the television and happily slept until last thing, then after he'd been in the garden again we sorted a bed for him in the kitchen.
20th February 2010
Last night Swift slept in the kitchen with the safety gate across the passageway to stop him wandering in the night and disturbing the others. As he'd been attracted to Dakota and Indi during the day we didn't want him approaching either in their sleep and there being an incident. Knowing Indi she wouldn't stand for any nonsense and would probably wake all our guests in the process. Swift slept fine until about 5.30 am then wanted out. About half an hour after I got back into bed he was up and about again so I decided to get up, made myself a cup of tea and did a bit of work on the computer. With me being in the kitchen he settled, but I soon realised the reason he'd not settled - one of the guests had taken their dog out for a walk and as I was about to sit at my computer I heard them coming back in.
A little later we let him in the garden off the lead then put him behind the safety gate with the others so we could start the guest's breakfasts. We half expected a tussle if he tried to 'ride' one of them, but nothing - he was just so good and stayed there with them until we got their food ready. After they'd eaten he went in the garden again then settled to his bed where he slept most of the morning.
Walking with Swift is so easy because he walks nicely by your side and doesn't pull on the lead. He enjoys his walks with the others and when we arrived back from our evening walk we met our guest with his Labrador as we were walking up to the pub. Although they didn't meet they were only a few feet from each other and Swift was indifferent towards it. In the pub he was very relaxed and lay on the carpet with Indi and Solo. There was no panting, no wimpering, nothing - he looked as if he'd been there a dozen times! A couple on the next table were fascinated by the dogs and couldn't believe we'd only had Swift just over 24 hours. They were quite taken with him and he loved all the attention they gave him, snuggling up when one bent down to hug him. We just sat there amazed and so grateful the vet had brought him to us.
Back home he happily went to his bed with the others and that was it for the night - he's slotted in to our routine so quickly and he's a dream!.
21st February 2010
The dogs woke us around 4 am, not sure which one woke first but three went out including Swift and once back in they settled to their beds again. Sometimes I wonder if a new dog hears movement upstairs that we don't hear and it disturbes them until they get used to people asleep above them.
This morning when the alarm went off we were greeted by them all including Swift wagging his tail like mad and jumping around with glee, which was really lovely to see. Off out again, then back to their beds while we did the guest's breakfast. Swift has settled in very quickly and he's a joy to have around.
22nd February 2010
Swift went to our vet this morning where he was neutered, and because he came with no paperwork he had his first inoculation to get a card started for his new owner whoever that may be. When he arrived back he was quite unsettled and wimpered on and off during the evening.
1st March 2010
Swift doesn't mind if another dog lays on his bed with him and is quite happy for Dakota to sleep next to him.
18th March 2010
This afternoon we took Swift to the vet for his 2nd inoculation and he weighed in at nearly 72lbs (32.60k). He was very good in the vets, not showing any interest in the other dogs in the waiting room but wanted to have a look to see what was in the covered up cage on the chair next to where we sat - it was a bird!
21st March 2010
This afternoon a family arrived with their two dogs, a Golden Retriever and a Westie cross so they could go for a walk with Swift to see if they all got on. Their previous Greyhound recently passed away so they would like to adopt Swift if he gets on okay with their other two dogs. Swift has shown no signs of aggression towards other breeds of dog and often just ignores them, but to be on the safe side we put a muzzle on him and introduced them all in the garden. All three dogs were quite bouncy around each other at first but it was more wanting to play than anything else. Once they settled down and sniffed each other properly they all mingled calmly together. We took all three for a walk with Swift next to the Golden Retriever then next to the Westie cross and all were happy. When the Westie decided to stand under Swift and sniff him Swift just stood still and let him, not bothering to even look. Bless him! Needless to say the muzzle soon came off Swift and all happily walked together. Back home, paperwork complete, Swift happily walked out to his new owners car, jumped in and off they drove.
We only had Swift a short time and because of the circumstances of his arrival I had a 'soft spot' for him because he could so easily not have been here. We are really pleased for Swift and hope he has a long and happy life with his new family.
3rd March 2014
We heard this afternoon that Swift passed away around 1pm today. He'd been off colour for a few days, and his owners were keeping an eye on him to try and determine what was wrong. Over the weekend he started bleeding slightly from his nose, and they thought he had a nose bleed. However this became worse as the weekend wore on, and by Monday morning he was bleeding from his mouth also. His owners took him straight to the vet who diagnosed a tumour in the back of his throat. The vet mentioned it could be one of three types, and all three were inoperable.
Swift's owners made the very hard decision to say goodbye to him and with the aid of the vet he gently passed away to rest in peace and go running with the angels.
Swift always had a special place in my heart, and always will have because of how he was discovered and saved.
Rest in Peace my precious boy. It was an honour to have known you. You will be sorely missed, and you may be gone but you will never be forgotten.
Click images for a larger view

Black Greyhound
Enjoying the comfort of the settee
27th February 2010

Black Greyhound
. . . and again.

Black Greyhound
In the garden
27th February 2010
Black Greyhound
. . . and again . .

Black Greyhound
. . . and again . .

Black Greyhound
. . . and again.

Black Greyhound
4th March 2010

Swift - Black Greyhound
4th March 2010

Swift - Black Greyhound
4th March 2010


Sadly Swift passed away on
Monday 3rd March 2014
following the diagnosis of a
tumour in the back of his throat.

Born: 1st June 2005
Died: 3rd March 2014
(Aged: 8 years, 9 months, 3 days old)

Black Greyhound

© 2004 - 2017 Jenny Stott